Charmeck Closes 12 of its 24 libraries due to the economy

So - thought y’all might like to know what’s going on in my little corner of the world today: CharMeck to Close 12 Libraries

My SO and several of our close friends work at the library. My SO’s library is not closing - but he won’t know until tomorrow whether or not he’s being laid off. They are laying off 148 of their 300+ employees - so almost half.

I realize there are a lot of things readily available online or in other formats - but I think a valuable community asset is being lost today. I love books - I love libraries - I obviously love librarians . . .:wink:

But in all seriousness, this is a very scary time for society as a whole. Along with free access to books, music, and videos for the patrons - the library also provides free internet access, free classes on computers and job-searches, reading programs for all ages, etc.

It’s a sad, sad day.

I agree with you regarding the value of public libraries. Yes, information is available online, but not ALL information, and it might not be that easy for someone without a good education to locate quality within the overwhelming amounts of crap. That’s true for libraries as well, but at least a live librarian is available for questions or guidance.

And people seem to forget that not everybody has computer access at home, and those that don’t tend to use computers at…the public library.

Down the road apiece, our library is getting CRAZY business from the recession. There is never a time when there isn’t a line for the computers for resumes, job hunting, etc. Our computer skills and job hunting classes are always, always full. The idea that this is a time to close libraries is ridiculously short-sighted. We’re a lucky system, though - well funded, and we just got a huge computer grant.