Cheapest protective gear to wear to protect against vicious dog?

Sure, it will be helpless if all goes well. Sometimes all doesn’t go well. Even if does, it still must be transported. Surely you recognize bites do happen on occasion?

Hot dogs might work. But lets say you enter a yard and a large german shepherd who has already bitten multiple people immediately rushes you from behind the trailer, closing the distance in a split second. It would be nice to have something a little more protective than an oscar mayer.

It might be. But I don’t have a gun and I wouldn’t shoot a dog that hadn’t bitten me badly. And I’d rather not get to that point.

Damn, that sounds like a good - and inexpensive, solution. Other than that, I’d look for some used leather gauntlets - like the welding gloves mentioned above. But you’ll want to retain some fine manipulative ability. And some chaps like tree trimmers use. Leather good, kevlar better.

Are you part of the VFD? Binker gear would give some protection.

Is Kevlar really the thing, though? Won’t dog teeth go through it?

I suggest a sturdy tactical glove and a chainmail or leather vambrace for your left arm.

When the dog attacks, use that arm to block, allowing the dog to bite.

And a cup… just in case.

They also make kevlar reinforced jeans (for motorcyles), you can sometimes find them relatively cheap on eBay (where you can find those other things, too).

Would a hockey goalie’s blocking pad (see right arm) be something worthwhile for this purpose?

My first thought was basic leather armor. My forearm armor pieces are 14lb leather with 3mm thick aluminum plates riveted to the outside faces. the plates are hammered into a curve to follow the outside face, I seriously doubt even a pretty big dog would be able to get serious purchase and or defeat the truss effect of the curved metal supported by heavy leather.

Kevlar has massive tensile strength but is not so great against sharp force and crushing. A kevlar jacket might be difficult for dog teeth to pierce but a good sized dog can break forearm bones with raw bite strength. It would definitely help against them ripping a chunk out of you.

I would lean towards heavy leather as its better at distribution of broader impact and will create resistance to crushing via trussing effects. It can also be hardened via several processes which would help even more.

Bit too large, but yes.

Search "bite suit " on ebay. Lots of used bite suit sets and pieces available for much lower cost than new.

“Minor cosmetic damage–numerous small holes”

:smiley:

A Youtube link. The garment looks completely inflexible so some improvisation would be in order. Paint the stuff on in stripes? Leave the joints uncoated?

More impressive clip: Bed liner used to reenforce walls against C4 explosive.

In animal control, I wouldn’t be worried about just dogs. Depending on where you are, there might be any number of angry critters you’ll be confronted with, up to and including alligators.

I don’t own a gun, but if I had your job I would get one.

I have to echo this, I don’t own a gun but if my day job included potentially dealing with angry pit bulls, mastiffs, feral pack dogs or even rabid cats and raccoons I think I would have more backup than just my snare and being confident. An angry dog or wild animal can tear you up if you make a mis-step.