(Chess) Strategic trade of knight/bishop for pawn-rook

Not tactical. There’s no immediate advantage. Just seeing the title, I assume a lot of people know what I’m talking about. My thinking was a lot of his major pieces are shoved into the upper right corner.

And I wanted to clarify things, and throw him a curveball.

Would anyone here do this for the reasons I’ve stated? Obviously things worked out for me, but I feel he had to play fairly precise to avoid that mating net. There were other mistakes he could have made too that lead to M3-M5

What color are playing here?

Black

Just as a straight count of points, it’s about equal, 6ish either way. But if you felt that you were stronger on a less-cluttered board, or that he was weaker that way, then even an even trade is sensible. Though of course, that depends on individual style, which it’s hard for us to judge.

I would disagree about no immediate tactical advantage. At the end of the exchange, white has a significantly weakened defensive structure.

Forget counting points. Unless the differential is about a piece (3 points), in the middle game it’s all about the resulting position.

I’d take white every day. The pieces “crammed” into the corner are aimed at the black king side. And the pawns aren’t locked, so the b2 Bishop can participate at the right time. The exchange has also moved the white King where it wants to be, allowing Rg1 or h1 without losing a tempo.

On the other hand, black’s remaining knight is out of position and the a8 Rook is not doing much either. In fact, there was a point where white could have won an exchange for a pawn, putting black a piece down without giving up the king side attack.

Also on whites move 21…his ‘mistake’ involves me saccing my rook to take advantage, and I was just so focused on the other side of the board, I woudnt have seen it. But it does lead to nice play.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I don’t think there’s a lot of difference, but I wouldn’t have done it myself.

You give up two developed pieces for one White one.
There were plenty of choices (building in the centre for example.)

True, but I’m not sure that’s enough compensation for what is usually considered a poor exchange (even though it’s equal on point count - the count is a fairly crude tool). Although a rook is more useful than a minor piece, two pieces are much better than one rook, and the pawn isn’t enough compensation.

Ultimately the attack succeeded because White got greedy and tried to win a Knight, then hold onto it with Rb1 (which blunders mate in 4). Had White instead brought some pieces to the kingside to defend, I’d have liked their chances of ultimately winning.

In the given position, as Black I’d consider g6 and Ne7 as my main candidate moves, or possibly just Nf6 to prepare d5. What would you play, @glee?

ETA: it looks to me like 19. a4 is a very poor move by White. Instead, 19. c4 prevents 19…e4 (as the pawn is pinned to the queen by the bishop) and although it temporarily blocks the light-squared bishop, it looks like it gives white enough time to bring the rook over to defend the king, I don’t think black has a winning attack in that case.