Chick Fil A chicken isn't anything special

The name didn’t clue you in as to the attitude you would hear?

Look at his name. Close your eyes. Picture how that would sound. Now open your eyes and read the OP in that voice.

It helps to hear it as “Severus Snape as a Robot”.

Now I can’t help but picture you with a list of things that make someone a pretentious douchebag.

I was once on a road trip and was driving through a weird section of southern Ohio where I literally could find no station that wasn’t playing country music (which I hate) or had some weird talk radio. Normally even in the most desolate patches of the U.S. I can at least get public radio which is decent, but I couldn’t even find a public radio station.

So I listen to this investment radio show I’d never heard before. The guy basically answers callers questions about basic investment decisions. Anyway, they get to the topic of oil companies and the host talks about how BP is actually a good, undervalued stock these days. The caller then asks, “Well, my only concern with BP is I’m not sure about what sort of organizations they support.” The host then says that he wouldn’t invest in BP for that reason himself, and he then suggests ConocoPhilips as an alternative.

It ends up it was a “Christian investment” show, and the reason they wouldn’t invest in BP is because BP has some sort of group called the “BP Pride” group that advocates for LGBT issues and typically participates in local pride marches or something, and thus they aren’t a valid investment for right-thinking Christians.

This way of operating just blows my mind. If you’re a devout Christian or a far left atheist liberal I don’t know why any of this bullshit about gay rights, political donations, or etc should impact one iota how you invest your money. Investments aren’t moral decisions, but financial ones. Likewise, purchasing from a company isn’t a moral decision, it is a financial decision. I can buy any product I want, and I’m 100% not responsible for the moral choices the person I buy that product from decides to make. They are totally separate issues.

I’ve thought that since the Star Wars era. My theory is that they cost more because they don’t use the absolute cheapest crap they can get, including the all important chicken meat. Which would also explain why for fast food chicken it seems better than most.

I’m boycotting Popeye’s until they start putting spinach on the menu.

People with pretentious douchebag lists are . . . somethingsomething.

This seems right.

I hadn’t thought of Chick-fil-A for years before this controversy broke, and I never knew the chain was linked to fundies. But I recall they had a tasty lemon meringue pie.

You really don’t know?

Is there no moral consideration that would make you keep from investing in, or patronizing, a company?

What if some company doing gangbusters came out in favor of genocide? They want to achieve racial purity within nations by killing everyone but the majority race in each nation. Len Kramer says you’re sure to make 50% a year on this stock. Would you buy it?

I’m not a consequentialist, I believe in individual acts being inherently moral or immoral. Lying is inherently immoral. Stealing is inherently immoral. Buying something isn’t inherently immoral. If the person I buy it from uses the money to do something immoral, that isn’t part of the moral decision to buy the product–I’m not responsible for the consequences of his actions.

This is a more permissive ideology in that you don’t have to worry about what someone does with money you give them in exchange for a good or service. But it is less permissive in that you can’t justify actions based on their consequences, either. So even a lie to save a life is still an immoral act, and stealing to feed your family is still immoral.

So when you accost an effeminate-looking teenager on the street and ask him “you some kind of fag” while waving a knife, he should tell you the truth, right?

Yeah, but what if you steal Chick Fil A sandwiches to feed your family? Then aren’t you taking profit from those evil homophobes AND feeding your starving family at the same time? Seems like a double good to me.

In this economy? He had me at 35 percent.

I honestly don’t care what the owner of the company thinks. I do care that I think his sandwiches are crap.

I gotta say I’ve only ever tried them once, but I thought the one I had was pretty decent. Probably the best large fast food chain chicken sandwich I’ve tried. Which isn’t saying heck of a lot, but is saying something. I have a friend ( liberal, atheist, very gay-friendly ) who craves it mightily sometimes and she worked at one as a teen.

Thankfully I don’t have to worry about whether or not to give into homophobic deliciousness ( or fairly decentishishness, anyway ). The nearest one ain’t that near - actually beyond inconvenient. So geography apparently saves me from any potential moral failing.

Yeah, I thought they were okay too. But the lemon meringue pie was what really got me. Mind you, this was back in West Texas, and there was a lot of crappy food floating around. I’d probably think differently about it if I tried one now.

want to know who made the BEST chicken sammich? Woolworth’s in Greensboro North Carolina circa 1960. Damn if’in it wasn’t the tastiest piece of chicken meat slapped tween 2 bits of braid. Too bad them colored folk has to come along and ruint it for us god fearin folks!

I only ever ate there one time, a long time ago. I liked the waffle fries, but the fact that they were closed on Sunday made me think they were financially supporting a religious ideology that I didn’t agree with. An internet search when I got home confirmed that, and I decided never to go back (I avoid Hobby Lobby for the same reason). I also do most of my shopping on Sundays, and that didn’t fly. Also, the food was really expensive. But, even if they weren’t so vocally anti-gay, I still wouldn’t be eating there.

Good waffle fries though.

The pickles are what makes it great!!! When I used to eat there I sometimes would order them with extra pickles.

Not only is their chicken pretty darn tasty, I’ve never had a bad experience at a Chick-fil-A restaurant. I can’t recall at any time having my order messed up, coming into contact with a surly employee or questioning the cleanliness of one of their restaurants.

What makes you say that? The first Chick-fil-A restaurant didn’t open until 1967 and the first restaurant they opened that wasn’t attached to a mall was in 1986. We’re not talking about McDonald’s here. Most people in the South did not grow up eating Chick-fil-A sandwiches on a regular basis.

So far as fast food establishments go, Chick-fil-A makes a quality product. I’ve never had a better chicken sandwich from another fast food restaurant.