Chicken Fried Steak... Batter?

So, I was watching a YouTube clip about Chicken Friend Bacon.

Yeah, I know.

But one thing that caught my attention was the fact that they appeared to use a batter they dipped their bacon in.

In the past, the few times I have tried to make Chicken Fried Steak I’ve just dredged the cubesteak in flour and fried.

The idea of batter however, intrigues me. So, what I’m asking…

Do you doper cooks use a batter for frying, and if so, what’s your recipe?

In my experience, chicken fried steak is battered. Country fried steak is dredged.

Well that would make sense, and explain why my CFS never comes out quite like I hope.

Anyone else?

I don’t make a batter for CFS. I dredge it in flour, then dip it in a mixture of egg and oil, and then coat it with cracker crumbs.

I’ve tried CFS with a batter but I didn’t like how it turned out, and the batter got brown before the meat was done. Also, it seemed like there was a lot of fat (grease) between the batter and the meat. That doesn’t happen with the other coating method.

Never done CFS, but that sounds almost quite like the method my mom taught me for breaded chicken breasts… little sprinkle of salt and pepper in the flour, dash of milk in with the beaten egg instead of oil. DELICIOUS. I need to make them again soon!

Bacon is always your friend.

Is the bacon raw or cooked already? Because it seems like either batter or dredging would all cook off as the bacon cooks and produces fat but I would guess the batter would hold better. But that begs the question if you get a mouthful of hot fat when you bite into it.

Here’s a site that has several recipes. They use the terms interchangeably.

Alton uses a flour-egg-flour technique.

Ok - Southern Fried cook here.

Chicken Fried Steak is made like fried chicken, hence the name.

My mama taught me to use round steak and beat the hell out of it with the edge of a plate. I use cube steak now. :wink:

Salt and pepper your steak pieces. Dredge in flour, and shake off excess. Dip in egg beaten with a bit of milk. Back in the flour, pressing hard to get it coated well. Fry in about 1/4 inch veg oil at around 325°-350°. Turn with tongs when golden. Drain on paper towels.