Chicken Recipes

I’ve got some chicken breasts that I need to use soon and I’d like to try something different, so I was wondering if anyone has any recipes they’d recommend. I need to go grocery shopping in the next few days also, so I can pick up any necessary ingredients if there’s anything I don’t have–so no restrictions on that front.

I kindof like my very simple chicken divan recipe (although I’m sure one of the chefs on the board will come along and tell me it’s not really chicken divan, but that’s what I call it, anyway)…

You’ll need:

[li]One pot with lid (or microwaveable steaming dish)[/li][li]One collander[/li][li]One mixing bowl[/li][li]One glass baking dish[/li][li]Chicken breasts[/li][li]Fresh or frozen broccoli[/li][li]Cream of mushroom soup[/li][li]Mayonnaise[/li][li]Salt & Pepper[/li]
Optional

[li]small sauce pan[/li][li]Seasoned breadcrumbs[/li][li]Margarine or butter[/li]

1. Preheat oven to 350º
  2. Slightly steam broccoli so it’s still somewhat crunchy.
  3. In mixing bowl, mix 2 cans of soup with 1/3 cup of mayo. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Line the bottom of the baking dish with the steamed broccoli.
  5. Lay chicken breasts on top.
  6. Pour soup mixture over the whole thing, making sure everything gets covered.
  7. Bake uncovered for approximately 30-45 minutes, depending on how many chicken breats you’re making.

Optional addition

1. Melt butter or margarine in a small sauce pan.
  2. Add seasoned bread crumbs until absorbed and it’s a crumbly texture.
  3. Sprinkle over chicken dish and turn broiler on to brown for the last few minutes of cooking.

I like serving mine over egg noodles, but it would probably also go well with steamed new potatoes or something like that.

Jeg elsker dig, Thomas

1/3 cup dijon mustard
1/3 cup honey
cinnamon (to taste; I have cinnamon honey)
orange zest (grated orange peel, fresh or dry, to taste)

Preheat oven to 400 F
Combine ingredients in a bowl
Line a baking sheet with foil
Place chicken on sheet
Brush mixture on chicken, both sides and under the skin
Bake about 30 minutes (until the juice of the thickest portion runs clear when pressed with a knife.

Ingredients:
[li]Chicken[/li][li]Soy Sauce (optional)[/li][li]Pan[/li]
Directions:
[li]Turn on heat under pan[/li][li]Put chicken in pan[/li]li Soy Sauce to taste, or salt+pepper[/li][li]Cook till done[/li][li]Eat.[/li]
Sorry. But I gotta represent the bachelor contingent. Carry on.

Kat, are you looking for something cheap, middle ground, or expensive? Something easy to prepare or rather involved? And do you prefer sweet, spicy, etc? I have a great jerk recipe that I can give ya but it involves a lot of ingredients. There’s also Chicken Wellington (chicken, asparagus, basil, mushrooms and brie wrapped in puff pastry with a zinfandel beurre blanc) En Pappiote, always a favorite. Butterflied, pounded thin and rolled up with cream cheese and spinach. Four pepper garlic chicken with rice (not for the faint of heart). Poor man’s cassoullet. Any of those sound good, I’ll post my recipes.

This recipe is a big hit around here… my mother and my sister-in-law routinely fight over the leftovers.

Mediterranean chicken (serves four-six)
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 medium onions, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
6 cups very ripe tomatoes, diced
1 15 oz jar pimiento-stuffed green olives, drained (use the cheaper kind called “salad olives”)
1 cup red wine
1 tablespoon dried oregano

In a very large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the chicken breasts in the olive oil until they are just beginning to brown. Remove and keep warm.
Add onions and garlic to pan and continue sautéeing until onions are soft and translucent but not brown.
Add tomatoes, olives, wine, and oregano; lower heat to medium and cover. Simmer until tomatoes begin to break down and olives soften. Return chicken breasts to pan, pushing them down into the olive mixture, and recover. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 30 minutes (longer is better) or until chicken is falling-apart tender.

I serve this with “green rice,” which is a sort of semi-risotto made with rice, minced spinach, parsley and green onion tops, along with butter, chicken broth, and parmesan cheese.

Chicken pizza:

Chicken breasts, cut in strips
taco sauce
shredded cheese (chedder & mozerella [sp?])
pizza crust

Brown chicken strips, cover pizza crust with taco sauce, top with chicken & cheese, bake in oven

good morning friends,

friend kat wrote:

put your chicken breasts into a baking dish, drizzle a little olive oil on them and a pinch of coarse ground pepper and bake for about 45 minutes.

remove them, and let them cool, then cut into bite sized cubes. lay the cubes on a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper and freeze them. once partially frozen, they can be put into a container without sticking together.

for a quick dinner, microwave a handful of these and add them to spaghetti sauce, or to cream of mushroom soup over rice. the uses are only limited by your imagination.

Filet the chicken breasts, mince up some sun-dried tomatoes (the kind stored in olive oil) with kalamata olives and capers, get a square of aluminum foil for each breast, brush olive oil on the foil, put breast in it, top with tomato-olive-caper mix, seal tightly, bake at 325 for 30 minutes. Yum

Heloise (chef in training) and I made this exact same recipe using salmon filets. YUM is right!

I’m with White Lightning! (well, he DID link to my thread, after all!)

Go simple: Throw them on a baking rack (so that the fat drains off), sprinkle some lemmon-pepper or paprika on them, and bake the HELL out of 'em! [sup]God I wish I had an oven![/sup]

Garnish with whatever you have on hand (for example: mustard, catsup, A-1, sugar cubes, whatever…) and serve with mashed potatoes, a microwaved veggie, and some cheap wine…

Warning, though… do not feed Astrogirl, um… I mean your SO too much, or it may undermine your reason for cooking dinner in the first place! IE: gettin’ some!:slight_smile:

“Get off me! I ate too much!” :frowning:

What a romantic soul.

I try!:smiley:

Mm, time to try to remember measurements as opposed to visually saying “Yup, that looks like enough.”

Get a nice glass baking dish, 9x11 or so.
In a mixing bowl, mix 4 parts tomato sauce to 1 part heavy whipping cream. (Depending on how much you’re making- two cups to 1/2 cup is usually a good amount, but you may need to increase that. And get a good tomato sauce; if you don’t make your own, I’d recommend Contadina.)
Pour 1/3 of the tomato sauce mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.
Lightly saute chicken breasts, add lemon pepper to taste.
Place chicken breasts in the baking dish.
Cover breasts with the rest of the sauce.
Dust with grated parmesan cheese - 1/2 cup or so.
Cover each breast with thinly-sliced mozzarella cheese.

Bake at, oh, 375 for 50-60 minutes. Serve over the pasta of your choice.

This is not exactly the most heart-healthy of meals, but it’s one of my favorites.

You could cut a pocket in the breast and stuff it with something tasty, then cook the breast however you like. Some possible stuffings: sage leaves and dijon mustard, spinach and feta, gruyere and ham.

Chicken Enchiladas

Preparation time: 1 1/2 Hours

Serves: 6-10 People
Ingredients:

1 Whole Chicken or 2 Lbs chicken breasts
2 Dozen white corn tortillas*
2 28 oz Cans of Las Palmas Green enchilada sauce
1-2 Cups Shredded Monterey Jack
Preparation:

Cook chicken by boiling or roasting until done. Be sure to add salt to the water or sprinkle a little on the chicken while cooking it. Allow chicken to cool and bone out all of the white meat. If you have cooked a whole chicken use the meat from the breast and thighs. Chop or shred the cooked chicken into small pieces (~5mm cubes) and reserve for later use.

To prepare the tortillas, preheat a comal or dry skillet over medium high heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and wait for it to begin to bubble up. When the edges begin to curl a little, flip the tortilla over and continue to heat. Use a covered dish that can hold the tortillas flat. Place them in the dish and cover tightly while heating the other tortillas. Once in a while, flip the entire stack of tortillas over to keep all of them warm in the dish.

Be sure to use a glass or enamel* baking pan that is almost the exact same width as the tortillas. Ladle ~1/2 cup of sauce into the bottom of the baking dish. Spread it around until the entire bottom of the dish is coated with sauce. Place a tortilla on a plate and spoon ~1-2 Tbs of enchilada sauce onto it. Swirl it around as you would with tomato sauce on a pizza. Sprinkle some of the cooked chicken across the front edge of the coated tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place it in the baking dish with the “seam” side down so that the filled tortilla does not unroll. Repeat this process until the baking dish is full of rolled tortillas.

Ladle sauce across the dish full of tortillas. If you are running low on sauce, be sure to pay special attention to the ends of the tortillas. The ends will usually poke up above the rest of the dish and dry out during baking unless you have been sure to specifically spoon sauce onto them. If you are preparing the enchiladas ahead of time be sure to cover them with a plastic wrap. The enchilada sauce is acidic enough to corrode aluminum foil.

To cook the enchiladas, preheat your oven to 250-300 F for 30 minutes. Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and place in the preheated oven. Bake for ~1/2 hour depending on whether the dish was refrigerated beforehand. Once the enchiladas are heated through, remove the foil and spread the shredded cheese across the entire pan. Look for any bare spots and spoon a little sauce across them before adding the cheese. If you still have some sauce left, ladle a stripe of it down the center of the pan for added color. Continue baking until the cheese is melted and beginning to bubble.

Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. This will allow the pan to set up and makes it easier to serve. Try to determine where the divisions are between the enchiladas and serve two per person on each plate. Top with a little shredded cheese for appearances and serve with the Spanish rice and beans listed elsewhere in this recipe thread.

• Aluminum baking pans will transfer an undesirable metallic flavor to this dish.
    Note: Sauteed onions that have been finely chopped may also be added to the chicken for a spicier note. Minced Anaheim green chiles may also be added. The Ortega brand of tinned chiles is very acceptable.

or:

**Sopa de Pollo con Arroz **

(Chicken and Rice Soup)

Ingredients:

1 Whole chicken
1 Large Russet potato
2 Carrots
1 Large tomato
2 Ribs of celery (with leaves)
2 Cloves of garlic
1 Tbs. of salt (or more)
1/2 White onion (do not use red onion)
1/2 Cup of washed rice
1/4 Head of Cannonball cabbage
1/8 Cup of chopped cilantro
1/8 Tsp. of ground cumin
1/8 Tsp. of ground white pepper
Dash of Crystal hot sauce

Preparation:

Extract giblets from chicken and remove the liver
Place chicken in a pot of water just large enough to hold it
Cover with 1-2 quarts of water and add the giblets
Add salt and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam
Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer for 2 or more hours
Chicken should fall apart after cooking
Completely bone out the cooked chicken
Separate white meat for use in the finished soup
Crack the bones and return them to the stock with the skin
Add all other non-meat parts of the chicken back to the stock
Bring stock and giblets back to a fast simmer
Cook stock for 1/2-1 hour longer
Begin washing rice
Strain stock and remove most, but not all of the fat
Peel the potato, tomato and carrots
Bring stock to a boil and reduce heat
Cut carrots into coins and add
Dice potato into 1/2" cubes and add
Cut cabbage into 1" chunks and add
Chop onion coarsely and add
Press or finely mince the garlic and add
Slice celery into medium pieces and add
Peel and seed tomato and add
Strain tomato juice from seeds and add
Chop cilantro leaves and add
Chop some of the celery leaves and add
Dice chicken white meat into 1/2" chunks and add
Finish washing rice and add to soup
During last half hour of cooking add all other spices
Adjust salt to taste (this recipe can take a lot of salt)
Avoid adding too much cumin, it will spoil the flavor

DO NOT let the soup boil, it will turn to mush
DO NOT let the chicken liver cook in the soup

When the rice begins to “bloom” turn off the heat
Elbow macaroni, stars or alphabet pasta may be used
If using pasta, omit or reduce the amount of rice
If the stock is made right it will gel when chilled

This recipe cheerfully stolen from:

Mario’s La Fiesta Mexican restaurant in Berkeley, CA

looks properly awed that Zenster showed up

Thanks, guys. Something easy-to-medium would be good, Turbo Dog. I’m not really a cooking person, but I’ve been working on that. The garlic chicken sounds like something I might like. I’m a big garlic freak.

I have 5 chicken breasts, btw.

Hold the applause, I am in fact, a mere mortal. Although your reverence is, in reality, really apreciated.

Zenster can smell a recipe thread from 1000 miles away.

I’d like to think I can smell one from about 3000 miles away, but that’s only with a following wind and clear sinuses.

What would I do with chicken breasts?
Something marinated and grilled, probably.

I might cut the chicken in cubes, and marinate it in paprika, cayenne pepper, turmeric, ground cumin, salt and yoghurt for about an hour. Then I’d thread the cubes onto skewers and grill until done, basting them with melted butter every now and again. Cheat’s tandoori.

Then again, I might slash the chicken breasts, stick garlic slices in the gashes and marinate them in olive oil, lemon juice and dried oregano. Then I’d grill them or bake them.

Or I might make a quick balti out of them.

Or I’d try Qadgop’s recipe. It sounds good.

Four Pepper Garlic Chicken

Four chicken breasts, cut in about 1" chunks

1/4 C each diced onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, celery and mushrooms.

4 to 8 large cloves garlic, chopped. (depending on your taste and the potency of the garlic)

1 to 4 habanero peppers, minced (depending on your love of heat)

1 tsp. ground ginger

1 jalapeno, minced (or 1 tbsp red pepper flakes)

1 tbsp soy sauce

1 cup chicken stock (water will work too)

1 tsp honey or sugar.

juice of 1 lime.

Flour the chicken pieces and fry them until done and drain. Saute the vegetables, garlic, peppers and ginger until done and add the stock/water, soy sauce, honey/sugar, and lime juice and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and make a flour slurry to thicken it to your liking. Best over rice.

You can change the types and amounts of peppers to your liking too. It’s pretty good without the hot peppers too, but the flavor of the habanero’s really makes it great.
Garlic Chicken with Tequila Sauce (also great with shrimp)

4 chicken breasts, chunked up

1/4 cup oil

2 poblano peppers or 1 bell pepper and 1 jalapeno, chopped

8 large garlic cloves, chopped

3 sticks of butter in cubes

1/2 C. lime juice

1/2 C. tequila

Fry the chicken until done and remove from oil. To the oil, add everything except the butter. Reduce down to 1/4 of original, put on very low heat and whisk in the butter. Add the chicken chunks and heat it through. Very yummy.