Chickens and Avian Flu

I’ve been reading about the bird flu on different sites but nowhere did I see anything about what happens if you cook/eat one of these birds.

I’m asking because I just bought a raoasting chicken on sale this week,and I’m assuming it isn’t from the Del or NJ flocks they’ve recently discovered the virus in.

But supposing it was,wouldn’t roasting it kill the virus-if there was one there?

Waiting for some authorative medical info from the SD masses before I cook this thing-not to mention the boneless chicken breasts I also have stored in the freezer.

Chicken is the only meat I eat-other than an occasional fish.Must I go back to beef?

Mods-could you please merge/delete this thread.I see another thread started on the same subject,that I didn’t see when I was first composing my query.

Great minds think alike – we created very similar threads within 15 minutes of each other! Did you have chicken for lunch today, too? Oh, I see, you’re waiting to eat yours. Just a tad more paranoid than I am.

:slight_smile:

Great minds think alike – we created very similar threads within 15 minutes of each other! Did you have chicken for lunch today, too? Oh, I see, you’re waiting to eat yours. Just a tad more paranoid than I am.

:slight_smile:

I didn’t have chicken so far today,but I’ve heard one of the first signs of the bird flu is a tendency to doublepost-in like ,10 min.intervals :slight_smile:

I’m still waiting for an educated answer-I’m getting hungry :smiley:

I’ll post to this thread because it’s closest to the top.

I believe you’ll both find most of your questions answered in this http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=239108 thread.

As for getting the flu from eating chickens, it’s not likely (I’m a scientist, so you’re not getting a yes/no answer out of me). In addition to viruses being killed by cooking, you aren’t going to be in contact with any virus carrying tissue in a standard chicken. Muscle tissue does not carry viral load. In addition, the virus is not human/chicken contagious. If you look at the above thread you’ll see that it is a human virus that changes with the addition of avian viral genes. Since you shouldn’t be in contact with live virus, then you can’t have the genetic swap that would cause illness.

Now go have some chicken!

Thank you-I’m starting the roast as I type