Child protogonists in novels meant for adults?

Scout Finch
Jack Sawyer
Harriet Dufresnes
Huck Finn
Holden Caulfield
Ender Wiggin

The one thing that these characters - from To Kill a Mocking Bird, The Talisman, The Little Friend, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn*,The Catcher in the Rye, and Ender’s Game - have in common is that they are each the main character of a story written for adults, and all are children.

Care to recommend some more child progtagonists in adult fiction? (let’s say they need to be a child for at least 51% of the book to count) Maybe ones you think are great but overlooked? No YA books, please.

*let’s not have a lit class level argument about To Kill a Mocking Bird. We see things through Scout’s eyes, so even if it’s a story “about” her father, she’s the main character for all intents and purposes.

I seem to recall that the concept of children’s literature is relatively recent, and that most of the classics that we treat as children’s literature today were seen as regular mainstream fiction back then, but they have been reclassified because they have child protagonists.

The kid from The Joyous Season. Kerry. I don’t think he had a last name.

Dan Simmons’s Summer of Night is definitely not children’s literature, and all the main characters are preteens.

Rhoda Penmark, the central character in William March’s The Bad Seed.

Joey Starret, the little boy in Jack Schaefer’s Shane.

Lyra from the **His Dark Materials **trilogy. Although I could picture kids reading them.

because they were written for children.

Frankie Addams, the 12 year old girl in The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers.

Oliver Twist

There are quite a few main characters in Dickens (and other Victorian novels) that start out as children, but Oliver Twist is probably the best example of one who’s a child all the way through the story.

The narrator of “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime” is an autistic child.

Garion, the protagonist in David Eddings’ Belgariad series, is around 15 years old during the events of those books.

Oskar Schell is the nine-year-old protagonist of Jonathan Safran Foer’s wonderful novel Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which deals with Oskar’s father’s death in the World Trade Center on 9-11. Very much an adult book.

Paul Atreides (Muad’Dib) in Dune.

First thing I thought of was John Grisham’s The Client. Not great classic literature, to be sure, but I enjoyed it.

A good amount of the POV characters in A Song of Ice and Fire are children or teenagers.

Günther Grass’ Tin Drum (Die Blechtrommel)

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, by Stephen King. Told from the POV of a nine year old girl lost in the woods.

Edgar Sawtelle in The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

Bone, from Bastard Out of Carolina
Astrid, White Oleander
Minnie, Diary of a Teenaged Girl (Phoebe Gloeckner)

I’m not sure The Graveyard Book and Coraline are, strictly speaking, children’s/YA books, but I guess that’s how they are marketed.

I came in to say this. It’s odd that it’s one of King’s lesser known and finest works.

And I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Lord of the Flies. No adults in the whole tale.