Been lurking this place for a long time before I even registered and I’m still never quite sure if I’m starting a topic in the right forum or not, so my apologies if this is in the wrong place.
What I’m hoping for is this - the ultimate nostalgia bomb in the form of remembering, discussing and waxing poetic about things we used to do as kids. Whenever you were a kid, be it the 40s or the 90s or in between, all is welcome here. I’m not at all looking for pop culture references or bands or TV shows ('Remember that band so-and-so?), but rather games we used to play, things you used to do, experiences you can share from childhood that make nearly everyone that reads your post go ‘Oh, I remember that! I used to do that too!’.
I’m hoping for some reminiscent discussion on things like…
- Making forts out of the cushions in your living room
- When getting jynxed at school was a big deal to you
- THE FLOOR IS LAVA!
- Carving into the desks, what you wrote and the profound gibberish you read
- Walking away from a game of Bloody Knuckles feeling like a survivor limping off Omaha Beach
- The frantic wiping of your greasy fingers on your pants when your buddy handed you the controller for your turn at the video game
- Riding along in your parents car and imagining a superhero/tiger/skateboarder blasting along beside you, doing flips and tricks
- When trading snacks at lunch was a serious part of your day
- That private smile inside your head when everyone’s walking into class and the girl you’re crushing on is wearing your favorite dress she has
- The pride at being the first kid picked off the lineup on the wall by the captain of that day’s recess football team
- When coming back from the recess or the bathroom to find a note on your desk was the most exciting thing you could imagine
- Locker Cleanout Day and all the amazing things you thought were lost forever coming back to you
- What gun noises did you prefer for your army men? Chk-chk-chk? Bzzzzzzhhh? Pew pew pew?
- Pressing the palms of your hands into your closed eyes to enjoy the ‘fireworks’
…and so on.
These are the kinds of things I’m after. Anyone is welcome to contribute, and the only real rule in here is that, while stories are encouraged, the goal is to name as many of these kinds of faithful childhood standbys as we can, not to tell a story that really only pertains to you. As long as it is a story others are likely to relate to, it’s fair game. This is a thread where I hope we can name as many relatable aspects of childhood and all that entails. We’ve all read a few posts here from time to time that instantly draw up memories of ME TOO! scenarios in your head, and I intend this thread to provide more of those moments than any other, and discussion about these kinds of moments as well.
So don’t be shy, how many of these kinds of things can you remember? You can type your own list, or tell a story about one thing in particular, or ask if anyone else did the same thing you did - I encourage everyone to contribute if they feel they can. Happy moments, sad moments, inspiring or embarrassing, gross and disturbing or beautiful and pleasant. Don’t be shy!