Children's "Robin Hood", probably 60's

If the Dope can’t do it…

Okay, Google is NOT my friend. I’ve been looking for this one awhile. It’s a large, thin book, probably late Fifties/early Sixties and it includes Robin Hood as a character. It’s told from the point of view of a young boy. All I really remember is that he had a pet jackdaw.

We had it in the school library in the late Sixties/early Seventies, but by the time my boys started school in the Nintries, it had disappeared.

Any ideas?

Was th protagonist named Dickon? If so, it sounds like Bows Against The Barons, which was written in 1934 {and I believe revised in the 50’s} by the late Geoffrey Trease, an excellent - and prolific - children’s historical author. If it isn’t still in print, it’s probably easy to pick up a good used copy: I used to have a lot of his books when I was a kid.

If I could find a copy of Bows, I’d be a happy little camper indeed. My school library had it and I just about wore it out.

No, this is for younger kids. It’s a thin book and about 12" or so high with hard covers. I just barely remember it although I’m sure on the jackdaw. It’s a little possible that it may have had other stories in it besides the Robin Hood one. It would have been published prior to '72 and likely earlier than '66.