Childs Balloon Britain to Laos?

How likely is it for a childs balloon to travel 3,000 miles?
Storey in Mail Online

In the comments someone supposes that this is unlikely due to the balloon would only last a short time and the prevailing winds would not bring it to Laos. Seems logical. But then 3,000 miles divided by say average 25 miles an hour the balloon would only need to travel for 5 days.

What say the dope?

The article says 6000 miles not 3000 miles. Five days would be quite long lasting for a standard rubber/plastic child’s balloon, but I’ve seen Mylar balloons last much longer so that would be possible I assume.

I know nothing about balloon longevity nor prevailing winds, but… Laos is an increasingly popular backpacking destination, especially with Brits. Wonder if someone found it in their back garden and took it to Laos/gave it to a friend going to Laos, with the intention of making a little girl’s day?

Then too, storms have picked up fish, eggs and even small alligators and dropped them far away. Weather could carry a limp balloon quite far. And perhaps the balloon floated on the water and was actually not found inland.

Laos is landlocked. It was found ‘near’ the Mekong, which rises in the Himalayas.

If it made it up into the jet stream, it could have gone a hundred miles per hour, easily. This sort of travel, while rare, has been documented before. I don’t doubt the story.