China has just admitted to taking hostages

That’s basically the gist of it.

Canada took Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou into custody at the request of the USA. She is currently sitting in a mansion in Vancouver under house arrest, awaiting extradition. Canadian courts have recently ruled that the extradition proceedings are legal, and will move forward.

Just days after Meng Wanzhou’s arrest, China arrested former Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig and Canadian entrepreneur Michael Spavor. After sitting in detention for months, the were recently charged with “espionage”. There are no details about the charges forthcoming whatsoever.

Now, it has been made clear by China that they’ll release the two if Canada uses political power to ignores it’s judicial process and returns Meng Wanzhou to China.

So they are pretty forthright that the two Canadians are merely hostages. They have basically issued the ransom demand.

I appreciate Trudeau’s response so far. He has made it clear that Canada’s courts are not open to political interference, and China does not seem to understand that. Today, he made it clear that he will not legitimize hostage taking, and to do this would set a terrible precedent; anytime China wants anything politically from Canada, it will merely round up and jail the nearest handy Canadian hostage.

I really hope that the US government will actually do something about this, as Canada is putting it’s balls on the line for you. But I doubt that anyone in power is even aware of what is going on.

I too believe he’s done the right thing, for the right reasons.

I doubt China recognizes how tight a spot he’s in between the two largest powers in the world. But more so that he already got caught trying to influence a court, and rightly got taken to task for it. He truly can’t be seen to be doing any such thing again. There is ZERO room him to do as they wish.

Plus, they will force extradition rights on Hong Kong, but can’t recognize the importance of reciprocal arrangements being maintained between CAN vs US ?

I’m also surprised our side is not endlessly pointing out she’s being held in her million dollar home, has a team of lawyers and consular assistance, only the finest food and clothing. Whereas the two Michael’s are being held without contact, lawyers, in prison cells, no family contact etc. They should point it out non freaking stop, EVERY time! Show her in her expensive clothes leaving her palatial home surrounded by pricey lawyers. I realize it’s not tactful or diplomatic, but still!

China does not really care what other countries think as long as the billions flow in for cheap stuff. Even worse than those 2 guys is the concentration camps they built for Muslims in the western area of China. I worked with a guy from there and he always said that he’s not Chinese. China took over that area in 1700s. There are 25 million muslims there, the Uyghurs .

[quote=“Euphonious_Polemic, post:1, topic:913101”]

Now, it has been made clear by China that they’ll release the two if Canada uses political power to ignores it’s judicial process and returns Meng Wanzhou to China.

So they are pretty forthright that the two Canadians are merely hostages. They have basically issued the ransom demand.

I appreciate Trudeau’s response so far. He has made it clear that Canada’s courts are not open to political interference, and China does not seem to understand that.

Of course China does not understand that. Within their country people get thrown under the bus for political reasons without hesitation. China also has been using these tactics against other nations for years with results that make China happy, so why should Canada be different?

]Today, he made it clear that he will not legitimize hostage taking, and to do this would set a terrible precedent; anytime China wants anything politically from Canada, it will merely round up and jail the nearest handy Canadian hostage.[/quote]

Yes, that is exactly what China hopes will happen because it would serve China’s interests.

I really hope that the US government will actually do something about this, as Canada is putting it’s balls on the line for you. But I doubt that anyone in power is even aware of what is going on.

I doubt anyone in the Trump administration would give a damn, unfortunately. The Trump administration has no affection for Canada and no appreciation for the best damn neighbors any country could possibly have. I’m truly sorry about that, and I hope there is real change in November.

[quote=“elbows, post:2, topic:913101”]

I doubt China recognizes how tight a spot he’s in between the two largest powers in the world.

I doubt China cares. The Chinese government cares about China and what it can get for China, it doesn’t give a damn about other countries or the what sort of problems will arise for their governments by caving in to Chinese demands and pressures.

Plus, they will force extradition rights on Hong Kong, but can’t recognize the importance of reciprocal arrangements being maintained between CAN vs US ?

Again, China does not care. If extradition between Hong Kong and the mainland are good for China then China will support that and if screwing with extradition between two other countries is good for China then China will also support that at the same time without feeling a trace of hypocrisy.