Chinese foot binding: lotus shoes

My class is reading the novel “Ties That Bind, Ties That Break” and my kids are very interested in the lotus shoes that are mentioned. I have tried to find them online somewhere, as I would like to find a pair to show them. Anyone have any idea where I can get a pair? Also, please remember I’m a poor, lowly teacher… so money is an issue.

I wouldn’t mind trying to make a pair, if I could get good directions on how to make them.

There’s some very cheap reproductions on ebay (such as this) as well as some expensive antiques.

I wasn’t sure they were still being made. Here’s a picture of some. Don’t know if that’s contemporary shoes, or a museum exhibit or something like that.

Thanks, cckerberos :slight_smile: I’m at school right now, so I cannot get on ebay (can’t have your teachers shopping for school items while they are at school!) at the moment, but I will look at your link when I get home this evening.

Thanks for the pictures, bordelond. Some of the students and I have been looking at various pictures… the kids are quite fascinated (especially the girls). It has been an eye-opening exploration for them in regards to what it means to be a woman, now and historically, here and in other parts of the world. I think some of them are going to attempt to make pairs of shoes- I’m anxious to see what they come up with.