Chocolate Crackles - why Rice Bubbles?

Could be similar to the reason you make chocolate milkshakes with vanilla ice cream. Too much chocolate can be overwhelming.

No, it’s more of acupcake/sweet thing.

Following up on the Wiki page for Rice Krispies, I find South Africa and Ghana are the only countries to have Strawberry Pops. Sucks to be the rest of you…

I’m going to guess that Coco Pops aren’t just Rice Bubbles with cocoa powder mixed in, but something unique that prevents them from working well as Chocolate Crackles. In the same kind of (inverted) way that White Chocolate isn’t actually chocolate at all.

As a Kiwi, I am very familiar with Chocolate Crackles, though I haven’t eaten them in about 25 years.

1. I think that Chocolate Crackles made with Cocoa Krispies/Coco Pops would be too sweet. Rice Krispies/Rice Bubbles are unsweetened whereas Cocoa Krispies/Coco Pops are sweetened in addition to being cocoa-ized

2. Copha is readily available in the states as “Coconut Oil” though all too often it’s only available in the organic/hippy aisle or at Whole Foods at an extraordinary markup. If you can find it at Costco or similar it can be reasonably priced. Coconut “oil” is solid at room temp so will appear to be a jar of white solid fat, and you can also find it packaged as bars, like Crisco. You will not get the right flavor from another solid vegetable fat, so get the coconut oil.

3. Chocolate crackles are really delish and really easy, so I encourage everyone to make them. Use mini muffin/cupcake papers to hold them. If the weather is warm, store them in the fridge.

I hadn’t thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks! :smiley:

Which you could adjust for merely by reducing the amount of suger in the ingredient list. BUT – I think you would probably want to add more salt, which would bring the ingredient list up to 5 items from 4. I guessing Rice Bubbles are about twice as salty as Coco Pops ???

(BTW, Rice Bubbles are 10% sugar, not unsweetened. Coco Pops are around 40% sugar. )

Can you really have chocolate crackles without honey joys? Is one ever served without the other?

This, and other similar threads leave me, well,*You know what the funniest thing about [DEL][COLOR=“Black”]Europe [/DEL][/COLOR] the rest of the world is? It’s the little differences.
I mean, they got the same shit over there that we got here, but it’s just…it’s just, there it’s a little different.*CMC fnord!

On par with pavlova and lamingtons? So, completely unknown then. At least “chocolate crackles” is descriptive so it does offer a starting point unlike the others.

It looks like it’s along the lines of a no-bake cookie but using Rice Krispies instead of rolled oats.

Okay, now you’re just screwing with us, right?

Not at all.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen them together - they seem to be an either or at every kids party I’ve been to. But there is always fairy bread. Always. (Pic for the Americans).

The woman with the 4 ingredient cook books has a recipe without copha but with coco pops right here. I have seen variants with Nutella with/instead of chocolate or using coconut bars - Bounty, coconut rough etc.

Fairy bread is amazing. You can spot whenever the dads come to pick the kids up from the party - they all stand around and inhale the fairy bread (there’s always heaps of leftovers at a little kids’ party because the kids are always running around at top speed, they haven’t time to eat).

Necessities for an aussie kid’s party:

1. Fairy bread
  2. Little Boys (frankfurter sausages/saveloys, call 'em what you like). Red, tomoto-like syrup to dunk them in.
  3. Chocolate crackles
  4. Cheezels (you know, those rings of salty-cheese-flavoured crap)
  5. Sausage rolls
  6. Honey Joys
  7. Unidentifiable flouro-coloured liquid. Green or Red for preference.
  8. Birthday cake consisting of flour, sugar, mysterious egg-like binding agent, chocolate topping, more sugar, sugar decorations, all served with cream, or ice-cream, or both.

Total nutritional value - zero.

Dad will be eating leftovers for the next week and will gain approximately 2,000 kilos.

Wow, it’s amazing how another Anglo-American national culture can be so different. I am introduced to the terms “fairy bread,” “little boys,” “chocolate crackles,” and “honey joys” for the first time in this thread.

Technically speaking, if it had no nutritional value, it wouldn’t have any calories either, right? So if dad’s gaining weight, then it must be nutritious. :smiley:

Do you mean cocktail sausages, which we in New Zealand call cheerios?

Ah like Vienna Sausages? — http://suburbansurvivalblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/vienna_sausage.jpg

You know, I really thought Rice Krispies were unsweetened but you’re right, they are sweetened.

Cocktail frankfurts, aka Little Boys

And if you were a kid in the 80s, your birthday cake came from this book. Even today, it still might.

Good lord. If I wanted a bowl of Cheerios and got these, I’d probably go on a psychotic rampage.