Christian Bale? - I don't get it.

Well, you can’t say that, it’s all subjective and you sound just as dumb as the OP.

Yeah, I think everyone else in the thread is underestimating the effect of his hotness on his overall likeability. As an actor, I think he’s not much more than competent, but he always has the ability to seem smarter than he really is (as far as I know; the guy may be a genius IRL). Plus he picks interesting parts, if not always good movies, instead of going the safe, handsome-leading-man route.

Yup, and speaking as someone who’s been in that kind of work, he did an excellent job portraying someone in that profession. I could buy Bale in that role, a helluvalot easier than I could someone like Tom Cruise.

You’re a hetero male, I take it? You wouldn’t understand… :wink:

Seriously, one thing I have noticed is that the luscious Bale is a very intense actor, so if he’s cast alongside somewhat flat or lazy (or limited) actors, he can come across as a bit of a caricature (See: Captain Corelli’s Mandolin. Or don’t because you won’t be getting those 2 hours of your life back).
But in an intense film, alongside strong actors, he shines.

I like Bale very much but thought he was very one-note in Batman Begins but that was largely the nature of the role. His performance in The Machinist, which I saw the week before, was terrific. I think what the OP took as “Way too many facial expressions” was simply the fact that, due to his weight loss, Bale’s every facial muscle movement made it seem that his skull was trying to burst through his flesh.

In Laurel Canyon you get to see Frances McDormand’s boobs.

Also Christian Bale is in it.

Well, a couple things. First

I think Bale is accomplished enough that to call him a good actor is not a subjective statement. There may still be taste issues that are more sujective (like with me and Pacino. I mean, Hunh?..) One can objectlively state “Cristian Bale is a good actor, and Keeanu Reeves is a bad one.” Of course, that’s just my opinion :wink:

Second,

All the Little Animals is a very different role for Bale, one I’m kinda surprised hasn’t been mentioned.

Third,

Hey, I liked that movie.

No, in fact I can say it and just did…and I really don’t give a damn whether it sounds dumb to you. Someone being a good actor isn’t really subjective. Can anyone say that you can’t say objectively that Laurence Olivier was a great actor? Of course not. Either someone can act or they can’t. Christian Bale can. Patrick Swayze, for example, can’t.

Say whatever you want, you’re the one sounding dumb.

All art is subjective and acting is part of that. Sure Laurence Olivier was a successfull actor but I bet I can find someone that can’t stand his acting and no amout of being told he’s great will change their opinion.

I think Bale was a good Batman because he has shark eyes.

You know, like they described of the shark in Jaws: Cold, dead eyes.

Bale seems to me like a method actor who will suffer for his art, and purposely go through pain and agony to elicit the emotion on screen. Much like when Martin Sheen broke actual glass in Apocalypse Now and nearly bled to death. I like it when somebody loses a few teeth for my entertainment.

I thought he was the perfect choice for Bruce Wayne/Batman, and I’ve thought so ever since I first saw him in American Psycho. That wasn’t a terribly great movie, but I thought he was awesome in the role. I’m glad some casting director had the exact same idea I did, because he is the greatest screen Batman ever in the best Batman movie ever. And I say this as a huge Mask of the Phantasm fan.

Equilibrium is a lot of fun too, and he was also playing a Batman-like character, a deadly-serious man of action who wasn’t used to emoting. It’s a great sci-fi movie, if a bit heavy-handed: a futuristic dystopian tale that liberally cribs from Fahrenheit 451, 1984, and Brave New World, with the visual style of The Matrix and a cool-looking (if implausible) fighting style called gunkata. For the ladies, it has Taye Diggs and Sean Bean as well as Bale.

Hey…no one puts Patrick Swayze in a corner!

Well, thank god, there’s atleast someone who doesn’t fall over praising him.
Anyway, thanks for all the opinions, i like reading them.

I don’t know about that. He seems to have just much male fans as females. Atleast the ones i’ve talked to.

Well, who can argue with that sort of logic? :rolleyes:

And, a cute little puppy.