Christmas gift for music teacher

I started taking some piano lessons a little while ago. I’m assuming that most students will be getting something for their teacher for the holiday. Is that correct? I’m wondering does anyone have any gift ideas? I don’t really know him that well at this point, other than the fact that he can play the piano really, really well. He’s a guy in his late 40s or early 50s. If you’re a music teacher, is there anything that you definitely don’t want to get? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Beethoven’s notebook.

Not the “real thing”, of course, but it is available!

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,717581,00.html

I love the Maestro! :slight_smile:

Q

Not a music teacher, but have studied music under multiple people.

Keep in mind that he’s a person, not a piano-teaching machine. Music themed gifts would be appreciated, I’m sure, but if he’s been teaching for a while he probably has tons of that stuff. I recall my violin teacher confiding in me that she had more violin- and music-themed doodads than she had a clue what to do with, so keep that in mind.

If you want to go somewhat music-themed, how about a Symphony bar? They’re vaguely music-related, and hey, who doesn’t like chocolate?

Or, do you know of any composers or pieces he’s particularly fond of? A lot of being a good musician is listening - if he’s mentioned that he’s a Mozart nut (or whatever), you can always go browse the classical selection at a music store (if you do this, be sure to get a gift receipt with it, of course, because if he’s a Mozart nut he may well already have given recording, but I’m sure the thought would be appreciated).

I’m trying to think back to various gifts I/my parents gave my violin teacher. A gift certificate to a local music store, maybe? I’m sure if he teaches he’s always on the lookout for new sheet music and such.

I was going to suggest ear-plugs, but really I am not that much of a grinch.

I don’t think a gift is really required but if you feel so moved, there is nothing wrong with a bottle of wine or a gift cert to a restaurant or other somewhat generic gift. Keep it personal with a heartfelt note.

I’ve never been a music teacher but I used to teach horseback riding and there’s only so many horse-themed doodads a person needs. At least lotion, wine, and candy get used up.

My brother is a piano teacher; he gets gift cards and baked stuff…some homemade, some store-bought. And the occasional bottle of wine.

He likes and appreciates all of this.

Chances are not good that anything “music themed” will be either novel or appreciated. Avoid this.

I used to give small gifts to my music teachers - it was some time ago now, but I believe that it started out as something generic like a bottle of reasonable (but inexpensive) wine (that universal gift currency - if the recipient does not like wine, there is sure to be an occasion soon where they can re-gift it), progressing to slightly more personalised gifts as I got to know the teacher better.

I don’t think it’s “required”, but I’m sure any gift is appreciated by the recipient.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I guess generic gift it is, then.

My college aged daughter teaches piano. From her recent experience, I can tell you what NOT to get - something expressing YOUR philosophy/religion. One of her students’ parent gave her a book of seasonal stories with a christian bent - something my daughter has no desire to read or keep.

As a poor college student, she expects nothing, but would enjoy just about any gift card for a store or restaurant. And she has little need or interest in knick-knacks. I’d imagine many more established teachers would feel similarly.

Damn, I was just going to get him some Chick Tracts. :wink: