Christmas Parties AFTER Christmas? Why Not?

Last year, our family Christmas party was cancelled because of a snowstorm, so we had to have it in January (Jan. 12). What’s wrong with this? After all, it is still winter, and prices are lower…still, people think this is weird. Would you have aChristmas party so late? How about in March? :confused:

We’re going to a Boxing Day party today! We don’t generally do that in the US, but we’ve a friend who was born in England and she has decided to start a new tradition among our group of friends.

In mid-January, we always have a Christmas party thrown by my husband’s RC airplane club. It’s after the holiday rush, so we get a nice deal on the banquet, and it gives everyone a chance to trot out their Christmas finery one more time.

I’ve been threatening for years to have a Christmas in July party, just for the heck of it.

My office “holiday” party isn’t until Jan. 22nd. In past years it’s been in December, like a normal holiday party, but they’re having it a month later this time: the main reason seems to be that many employees aren’t able to attend in December because of conflicting holiday parties. Also, one of our other sites (a much smaller office) has their party in January, and apparently it works well for them. I guess we’ll see.

It’s not going to be much of a holiday party by late January, though; it’ll just be a party. I think it will be well-attended, because my company likes any excuse to party, but it just seems weird that there won’t be a true holiday party this year. We used to do our annual awards at the holiday party, but now there’s going to be a special meeting in January (during business hours) to present the awards. And I seriously doubt that anyone will get as dressed up as they have for past holiday parties, so it’ll be interesting to find out what the “vibe” is. Heck, it might get a good turnout just because people are curious. :wink:

Actually, the Russian Orthodox church observes its major celebration in January, not December. Christmas Day is advent, January 7th is Epiphany, or the 12th day of Christmas. So you’re covered. :slight_smile:

A few years back, some friends threw a “Christmas in July” party just for the hell of it. They put up lights and decorations and made it a really festive affair.

At least, I think it was really festive – I drank a wee bit much at the party, so I don’t remember details. :smiley:

January? Sure.

Anything after that, nah. Although any day is good for a regular party :slight_smile:

This thread is better suited for IMHO.

I’ll move it for you.

Cajun Man
for the SDMB

I keep reading, here and there, about how the Feast of the Epiphany is the 12th day (or night) of Christmas. Don’t ask me how this idea has infiltrated people’s thoughts, because it just ain’t so. The liturgical 12 days of Christmas are Christmas Day (Dec. 25, for Roman Catholics, Episcopalians, and other Protestants that observe the liturgical calendar) and the succeeding 11 days, which together are the proverbial 12 days of Christmas. The 12th and last day of Christmas is January 5. The Epiphany season starts with the feast day of Epiphany, which is on January 6 in Western churches. So Epiphany is not one of the days of Christmas at all; it’s in its own liturgical season. And if it were, it would be the 13th day of Christmas anyway.

IIRC, various Orthodox churches don’t celebrate Christmas on the same day as the historically Western churches do. But the number of days in Christmas doesn’t change, nor does the fact that the feast of the Epiphany is not one of the 12 days of Christmas.

Just going by what my cited website says. That and the other thousands of hits that say the same thing. But if you say it ain’t so, then who are they to argue?