Christmas songs no one plays anymore

Real ones, I mean. Exhibit A: Christmas at Kmart by Root Boy Slim.

It’s not a total ban, but it’s pretty rare to hear “Good King Wenceslas” anymore. I love Loresna McKennitt’s version.

How does King Wenceslas like his pizza?
Deep-pan, crisp and even.

Can’t tell you when was the last time I heard Green Chri$tma$ on the radio, even when I call in and request it. They always tell me it “not on their playlist,” or some such bullshit.

Also, the Miles Davis/Bob Dorough song “Blue Christmas.”

I doubt I’ve heard Weird Al’s “Christmas at Ground Zero” in the wild since the 80s.

Or “Red Christmas,” either. :frowning:

What about “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer”?

I hadn’t hear Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin’ in ages until Bill Murray’s Christmas special on Netflix.

Nope. Heard it this year on SiriusXM.

I mentally classify Christmas songs into (1) songs about the birth of Christ (e.g. Silent Night, O Little Town of Bethlehem), and (2) songs about Christmastime (e.g. Jingle Bells, Holly Jolly Christmas). With the occasional exception of Silent Night, I almost never hear any songs from the first group outside of church.

I don’t take that as part of any bullshit ‘war on Christmas,’ but I think the songs in the first group are, on the whole, much better songs than the ones in the second group, so it’s somewhat disappointing not to hear them much.

My favorite song, “Christmas in Killarney.” I don’t think it’s been on the radio, ever.

I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas

(I Dare any currently touring artists to sing this baby in a Christmas set…!)

I had to switch off EZ Radio yesterday because it was playing Christmas music, all types, ad nauseam. I think I heard five different versions of “O Little Town of Bethlehem” played back-to-back over 20 minutes.

Mind you, I don’t dislike Christmas music. After five or six years of living in Moscow, I positively longed for it. I just don’t like being inundated with it.

Ouch! :smiley:

I’ve heard that one several times on the local Christmas station this year, so it’s in rotation here at least in Chicago!

“Good King Wenceslas” is the first one I thought of, too, although I do seem to occasionally hear it. It’s one of my favorite carols, for some reason.

Anybody remember “(W)rappin’ the Bear” with Teddy Ruxpin? :dubious:

(Slight) hijack: This song plays in the opening credits of Grumpy Cat’s Worst Christmas Ever movie!

I had no idea it was a real song. :o

Please tell me you’re being sarcastic.

I hear both of these, probably three times in an eight-hour shift, and have been doing so since the day after Thanksgiving. Not to mention “Santa Baby”, “Walking In A Winter Wonderland”, and - deep breath, see if I can type this without using the word “motherfucking” - “Marshmallow World”.

What I don’t ever seem to hear any more is Emerson, Lake and Palmer’s I Believe In Father Christmas.

Spoilered due to scientific inaccuracy and poor taste:

I don’t hear Nat King Cole’s Christmas album.