Christ's Jewishness - does it affect your feelings about Jewish people?

Correct - Jesus was addressing religious hypocrisy, and using some Pharisees as an example.

And one of the scribes is the one Jesus addressed in what I consider the most important passage in Scripture -

The scribe “got it” and Jesus says he is “not far from the kingdom of God”. So that scribe was at least on the path.

Regards,
Shodan

Further, it would arguably be inconsistent with the parable of the Good Samaritan to suggest that He was criticizing them as a people.

ISTM that the Good Samaritan parable is making the same point, and almost in the same way. The two who passed the traveler without helping were a priest, and a Levite, and the one who had mercy was an outcast. Same sort of condemnation of religious hypocrites and using much the same examples.

Jesus was not very careful about who He offended.

Regards,
Shodan

<<23 1-3 Now Jesus turned to address his disciples, along with the crowd that had gathered with them. “The religion scholars and Pharisees are competent teachers in God’s Law. You won’t go wrong in following their teachings on Moses. But be careful about following them. They talk a good line, but they don’t live it. They don’t take it into their hearts and live it out in their behavior. It’s all spit-and-polish veneer. {The Message version}>>

Remind me never to read “The Message” version. :eek:

Hee hee! Not my favorite either, but highly understandable to most English speaking folk today.