Chrome just flagged this site as malware for me

Chrome is suddenly telling me this:
Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for Straight Dope Message Board - Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.

What is the current listing status for Straight Dope Message Board - Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.?
This site is not currently listed as suspicious.

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 9859 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2014-05-12, and suspicious content was never found on this site within the past 90 days.
This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS22772 (LOGIN).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
Over the past 90 days, Straight Dope Message Board - Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks. did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?
No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

Next steps:
Return to the previous page.
If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google’s Webmaster Help Center.

Clicking on the bolded part, I see this:

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for AS22772 (LOGIN)

What happened when Google visited sites hosted on this network?
Of the 155 site(s) we tested on this network over the past 90 days, 3 site(s), including, for example, simpleviewinc.com/, longbeachcvb.org/, visitlongbeach.com/, served content that resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent.

The last time Google tested a site on this network was on 2014-05-12, and the last time suspicious content was found was on 2014-05-03.

Has this network hosted sites acting as intermediaries for further malware distribution?
Over the past 90 days, this network has not hosted any sites that appeared to function as intermediaries for the infection of any other sites.

Has this network hosted sites that have distributed malware?
No, this network has not hosted any sites that have distributed malicious software over the past 90 days.

Next steps:
Return to the previous page.

Thoughts?

I was browsing the boards normally, and went to the front page (boards.straightdope.com) and Chrome popped up with a big scary red screen, telling me the site was a malware hotspot and I was browsing at my own risk blah blah, I had to find the tiny “advanced” options to even let me go to the site (agreeing that I understood the risks).

Now, I’m a member so I don’t see ads, and even if I wasn’t I have adblock, but I figured I’d bring it up so maybe it can be passed on, because I think it’s kind of a big deal when my browser is warning me about malware when going here. I know the admins don’t have much direct control over what ad server is being used, but it could be bad for business if the site is getting flagged. Even if there’s no malware issue, I figure it’s good to report anyway.

(And yes, I’m pretty sure it’s not me. I haven’t gotten the message going anywhere else and I scanned my own system for malware. It seems to be a legit Chrome flag, not a spammy scare screen).

Oops, I was writing this before the other one popped up on the front page, sorry. Merge/lock as necessary.

I just got a “this is an attack site” from FF - looking at details show it clearly wasnt (the page had 0 warning, 0 attacks, 0 reports, etc) - almost felt like it was an add gone bad with the ignore going to a product looking page taht i quickly closed - but …

I just got this same thing from FF.

Same here. Firefox 29.0.1

Yeah, looking at the report MaxTheVool posted in the other thread, it doesn’t diagnose it as an actual known attack vector. I didn’t look at the fine details, just the giant scary red screen that said

I’m getting “Reported Attack Site!” from Firefox right now as well, which I bravely or stupidly ignored to come here and report.

I got the same thing with Chrome (never saw that screen before).

Got here with no problem with IE 9.

Same here - apparently it’s been reported by Stopbadware

https://www.stopbadware.org/firefox?hl=en-US&url=http%3A%2F%2Fboards.straightdope.com%2Fsdmb%2Fsearch.php

Someone suggested it might be an ad. Are any of you running AdBock Plus or are you all displaying ads? Even for members, they would still display on the front page if you start there.

stopbadware - thats where it loaded when I said to ignre - which is exactly teh behaviour I would expect from malware sites.

which is why I quickly closed that tab and hoped…

these people really don’t think things thru, do they?

I was a member - I need to renew - but I am running adblock.

It’s not an ad. I am paid and also run AdBlock. I’m on Firefox and getting the same thing as the others. I’ve seen it before. Not an ad.

I do have custom security settings for set for IE which are problow.lowy ARROWS and END keys not woking now. Post ing now keysarrow end acting wierd if they do work.

It may very well be an ad that triggered this, but it would have nothing to do with whether someone had ads off via Adblock or membership because as far as I can tell this would be a function of the site being on Google’s blacklist (rather than what you in particular are seeing).

In the past I’ve had some dodgy behavior from ads – I don’t remember the details but it was either popup windows and/or triggering my antivirus.

Anyway, yeah, I got the same warning from FF.

I help run a vBulletin forum and similar has happened to us. There are a few know exploits in the software and code can be injected remotely. Someone needs to get to the ACP and run some diagnostics. I’m pretty decent with standard button pushing configuration issues but not our site’s real IT guy so can’t be of much help, but details about these issues shouldn’t be discussed in public anyway.

Call in the Admin.

Here’s the page in Firefox: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Here’s the explanation page that you get when you click “Why was the page blocked?” Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Here’s the bar at the top of the site when you click the “Let me go here anyway” link on the very bottom right of the initial page: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Here’s where you go if you’re the site owner and want to remove your site: https://www.stopbadware.org/my-site-has-badware

Glad to see it wasn’t just me.

Yep. The same here, as well.

Yup, I got one too. Chrome Version 34.0.1847.131