Church Youth Group Activities

I have recently been asked to take over as Director for our church’s Youth Club. Having not done this particular job before, I’m uncertain of the responsibilities associated with it…but I’ll handle them.

What I’d like to know is this: what fun activities can the YC do? I’m not terribly creative in this realm, and am asking the board members to suggest some fun stuff to do.

Well, the only thing I remember our Church’s youth group doing was the lock-ins. I never went to one, but they had pizza and music and stuff like that.

Oh, they also had trips–like to Six Flags, or to ballgames, or the museum and stuff like that.

What ages of kids are in the group?

Thanks for reminding me, Kat. The kids are in middle school and high school (13-17 years). I live in Mount Dora, FL, which is close to the Central Florida Zoo, and Orlando, and Silver and Rock Springs, and other fun places.

I’m also looking for more religion-centered activities. We’ll be helping out with family night suppers and the like.

As a fellow youth-group sponsor myself, my favorite youth-group activity was when the youth minister made the 7th grade class wash my car and his (they were being bad and that’s how he punished them). :smiley:

Have them bake loaves of homemade bread and stir up some honey butter, then take it to people who can’t get out much. Group homes for retarted people, shut-in seniors, etc.

Beach parties (in short supply in central Illinois :smiley: ) might be a big hit. Have a big pig-roast there on the beach (you may want to talk this over with your local PD first; might be illegal).

Hmm…

It’s been a long time, but let me see if I can remember:

Annual musical production that we took on choir tour in surrounding states.

Annual trip to Six Flags.

Lock ins

Adopt a Grandparent at the local nursing home. Once a month the group would descend on the local nursing home and sing, visit and spend extra time with the adopted grandparent. These were people that didn’t get visitors normally and we always made them practical gifts. Like lap blankets.

Car Washes as fundraisers.

Adopt-A-Highway clean up program.

Annual Youth Camp. A week in the woods and there was always at least one haunted cabin. :smiley:

That’s all I can think of right now.

Our youth group collects recent computers for a school in Tanzania and are going over there to build houses. All the usual fundraisers to pay for it.

I’m so jealous of my daughter! Maybe if I offered to be a chaperone…

OOOOPS! Forgot I was at the SDMB!

Church youth groups perpetuate the evil of organized religion.

:wink:

Scavenger hunts,

my old youth group used to have us run all over the neighborhood with one clue sending us to the next spot, it was way fun.

In highschool we had different types of scavenger hunts where we had to pay 20 bucks as a team to join, then whoever won got the pot. Manhole covers, stop signs, store reciepts with cucumbers and condoms on them, flavored condoms, etc. You get the idea

Good luck. :slight_smile:

Uh oh.

Reverend Biery didn’t say anything about that.

It’s been a while, but from what I remember, we did
Religion Centered activities:
[ul]
[li]visiting nursing homes.[/li][li]helping the older members of the congregation around their homes[/li][li]greeting Opal[/li][li]doing construction and clean up around churches in the denomination, and church camps.[/li][li]helping with child care inside the church[/li][li]vacation bible school (they’d find smaller churches for us, and give us a week, provide us with some materials, and then leave all lesson planning, activity planning, conflict resolution, and implementation up to us. Adults were around in case things totally fell apart, luckily they never did.)[/li][li]occasional trips to missions[/li][li]small group (3-5) people bible studies[/li][/ul]

Non religious activities.
[ul]
[li]lockins[/li][li]camping trips[/li][li]scavenger hunts[/li][li]normal party games[/li][li]sporting events[/li][li]white elephant parties[/li][li]progressive dinners[/li][li]we used to do this thing where our leaders would put on elaborate disguises and hide somewhere in a bounded area (a section of the city, or amusement park) we then had to break into groups and find them by using some hideously embarassing phrase.[/li][/ul]

Weekend retreats are the best. A church camp in some rural area, a guest speaker, and some chaperones are all you need. You can have life changing experiences.

The youth group activities that I remember most fondly are Jello wrestling and dances which progressively turned into orgies. Of course this was a synagogue group, not a church one.

Get together with neighboring churches for major activities like campouts and trips. This allows you to have more help in planning and carrying out the event.

Day hikes are always a blast.

For less planning and preparation times you can just have movie and popcorn night.

They are old enough to just meet and discuss issues important to their age group. Just remember you may have to answer some awkward questions but the children will grow in Christ because of this.

These activities are all religious centered since you include worship service in the event.

How about a time when adult worship service is put on by the group. Your group could be responsible for greeting at the door, music, children’s story, and collecting offering with refreshments after worship service provided and served by the kids.
Now I will whisper so you will listen to me [sub]remember to keep the parents involved[/sub]. That is the key to success.

I got felt up for the first time on a church-group-sponsored hay ride.

I heartily advocate this activity.

We went into seattle (the church was in a suburb); worked in a homeless shelter for a few hours, spent the night at a house owned by the church, and walked around the city the next day.

I’m not sure if that counts as religious or not, though.

1. Minigolf
  2. Scavenger Hunt
  3. Hi Opal!
  4. Beach Day (Kites are fun!)
  5. Cookie baking (fun in the winter)
  6. Picnic
  7. Movie Night
  8. Christmas Shopping trip
  9. Day hikes -are- a great idea

I guess I would merit a mention in the Pit if I were to suggest that any activity you settled upon should figure lions prominently… yeah, probably would.

The youth group my son participates in has done many of the fun things already mentioned in the previous posts, including capture the flag, ultimate frisbee teams, various types of dance instruction and service type projects.

Two memorable activities were outreach activities. There was a get together with teen group of the faith down the street, the kids took turns asking questions about each others faith, practices and convictions. Another time the kids were scheduled to help at a food pantry. The stocking, sorting and bagging tasks they were assigned were supposed to have taken approximately three hours for the number of people participating. They finished in about half that time and when the pantry director had no other work ready for them, they ended up having impromptu cart races, and stocking contests. He recalls both events as both enlightening and fun.

I don’t think I saw a talent night mentioned above. Our kids do this about twice a year. When the young men are the primary organizers it’s a fairly casual, “get up on the stage and do your thing” kind of fun night. The talents range from a silly songs, or off beat skits, to beautiful vocal or musical presentations a wide variety of talents and skills levels. When the young ladies organize the event it tends to have pleasant decorations and to be run like a recital, often with a section set up to view talents other than those that can be demonstrated on a stage. For example, paintings, sculptures, sewing projects, photographs and prose or poetry. Either way, I am always impressed with the poise, variety and depth of talent the kids demonstrate.

The kids meet regularly with the adult leaders in charge to plan the activities.

Abby

What the heck is a lock-in?

Rilchiam asks,

A lock-in is when a group of young people and chaparones bring sleeping bags, music, games and snacks to a church activity hall, synagogue, or school gym and are “locked in” for the night. It’s a chaperoned, mixed gender sleep over usually sponsored by a religous or educational group. Often the night has a blend of structured activities and a discussions and quite a bit of free time for socializing.

As a kid… been there, done that, had fun!

As a chaperone… Arrrrrghhhhhhhh, to be responsible for the actions of young teens and their rage-ing hormones!

Made it through the night with no disasters and no sleep,
Abby