Cincinnati time outs?

Why the heck is Cincinnati calling time outs instead of just letting the clock run out. I’m not watching so I’m hearing no commentators. Suppose Pittsburgh had blocked that field goal attempt and run it back for a TD, or the snap had been high over the holder’s head?

You got me. The only thing I can figure is that they were really concerned about the look of the defense and felt the need to make a dramatic change.

Now, the time out on 4th down was because they were trying to draw a penalty, and when that didn’t work they didn’t want to get pushed back with a delay of game penalty. But I assume you’re referencing the previous time out.

Yes they called a time out with 20 second left when it was 3rd and one. Let the clock run or make Pittsburgh call its last. Then kneel on 3rd and 1. It’s fourth and one and the clock runs out and Pittsburgh can’t stop the clock.

They called a timeout with 20 seconds left on 3rd and one with 20 seconds left as the play clock was about to expire. Then they ran it up the middle for no gain. Pitt then called their last timeout to stop the clock. When play resumed, Cincy did their darndest to get Pitt to jump offsides, but that didn’t work, so they called another timeout, again before the play clock expired. Then they kicked a FG.

If it were me, I would not have kicked the FG. With 16 seconds left, I try to make a first down. If I do, the game is over. If not, there’s about 12 seconds left and Pitt has the ball at their own 15 with no timeouts.

If they make the field goal, the game is also over.

They did, and it was.

Except the field goal could be blocked, or the kickoff returned for a TD. Unlikely, to be sure, but making the FG does not ensure victory. Making the first down does.

And a run on 4th down could be stuffed, resulting in PIT with the ball and behind by 7 points. The FG is a very high percentage play, and effectively ends the game. A 4th down conversion is (IMO) not as much of a sure thing. I’m sure the numbers guys know the exact percentages.

A 10 point lead with 22 seconds left ends the game, and didn’t PIT just kneel down after the kickoff? They didn’t even try a Hail Mary.

You are correct. I retract my earlier statement. I forgot that it was a 10 point game. My bad.

No worries. I completely understand that “Cincinnati” and “10 point lead” are not concepts that typically go together.