Citadel Press 100 series

Citadel Press has been publishing a series of books called their 100 series. The first was The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History by Michael H. Hart. Following volumes have included * The Black 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential African-Americans, Past and
Present* by Columbus Salley; The Gay 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Gay Men and Lesbians, Past and Present by Paul Elliott Russell; The Jewish 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Jews of All Time by Michael Shapiro; The Military 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Military Leaders of All Time by Michael Lee Lanning; The Scientific 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Scientists, Past and Present by John G. Simmons; The 100 Most Influential Women of All Time: A Ranking Past and Present by Deborah G. Felder; etc. There have also been a few books in the series that went beyond straight biography like The 100 Most Influential Books Ever Written: The History of Thought from Ancient Times to Today by Martin Seymour-Smith and The Fictional 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Characters in World Literature and Legend by Lucy Pollard-Gott.

My question is if anyone knows of a complete list of the books in this series. I know several of them are out of print. Others were announced but never published. I’ve tried searching but key words like “Citadel” and “100” either are too vague or too specific.

I tried a search on Amazon using “100” and “ranking” and got 34 titles.

Check it out.

I have searched on Amazon. Unfortunately, their searches are not all inclusive (understandable as they are, after all, a commercial site). They only come up with titles that are either currently or soon to be in print, currently available in a used copy, or books for which someone has indicated they’d buy a used copy of. This last group is the key one here. Several of the books are out of print and only remain on Amazon’s list because I have posted that I’d buy a used copy.

This semester I discovered the joy of WorldCat. (The world’s largest bibliography! Can perform extremely detailed searches online! Items date from 1200 CE to the present!)

Since I have to sign in w/ my university ID to use it and I don’t know if it’s available through your public library, I took the liberty of running a quick search for you. I pulled up 43 records using the keywords “Citadel” and “100”–some looked obviously irrelevant (e.g. Rolling Stones sheet music) so I deleted them.

Results have been emailed to you. There are some duplicate records b/c some of the books seem to have been re-released, but you should be able to pick through. WorldCat does not list whether items are still in print, but your local library should be able to access Books In Print.

Thank you, Yersinia. I received your email but two out of the three items on it were something other than what I was looking for. The 100: a ranking of the most influential persons in history by Michael H Hart is the first book in the series I spoke of. But Themes from Masterpiece Theatre vols. I and II is a LP and A study of structural modifications of dredged material disposal sites for mosquito control by William Bruce Ezell and Joseph Vorgetts is a study published by The Citadel ie the Military College of South Carolina. This illustrates the problem I’ve had with search engines. The keywords I’ve tried search either too broadly or too narrowly (or often both).

For what it’s worth, here are the volumes in the series I know of:
The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History by Michael H. Hart;
Black 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential African-Americans, Past and Present by Columbus Salley;
The 100 Most Influential Books Ever Written: The History of Thought from Ancient Times to Today by Martin Seymour-Smith;
100 Essential Books for Jewish Readers by Rabbi Daniel Syme and Cindy Frenkel Kanter;
Civil War 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential People in the War Between the States by Robert Wooster;
The Fictional 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Characters in World Literature and Legend by Lucy Pollard-Gott;
The Film 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential People in the History of the Movies by Scott Smith;
The Gay 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Gay Men and Lesbians, Past and Present by Paul Elliott Russell;
The Hispanic 100: A Ranking of the Latino Men and Women Who Have Most Influenced American Thought and Culture by Himilce Novas;
The Irish 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Irish Men and Women of All Time by by Peter Costello;
The Italian 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential, Cultural, Scientific, and Political Figures, Past and Present by Stephen J. Spignesi and Michael Vena;
The Jewish 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Jews of All Time by Michael Shapiro;
The Legal 100: A Ranking of the Individuals Who Have Most Influenced the Law by Darien A. McWhirter;
The Literary 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Novelists, Playwrights, and Poets of All Time by Daniel S. Burt;
The Medical 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential People in Medicine, Past and Present by John G. Simmons;
The Military 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Military Leaders of All Time by Michael Lee Lanning;
The Scientific 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Scientists, Past and Present by John G. Simmons;
The Sports 100 : A Ranking of the Greatest Athletes of All Time by Bert Randolph Sugar;
The Wealthy 100: From Benjamin Franklin to Bill Gates - A Ranking of the Richest Americans, Past and Present by Michael Klepper and Robert Gunther;
The 100 Most Influential Women of All Time: A Ranking Past and Present by Deborah G. Felder; and
The World War II 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Figures of the Second World War by Howard Langer.

You only got three items on that list? Huh, that’s weird; there must have been ~35 marked records.

Okay, I’m trying again. Keywords “citadel” and “100.” (Ooh, I just found the button to limit results to books!)

Just discovered my mistake. There’s a radio button for emailing all marked records vs. just the ones on the last screen. I had the wrong one, sorry. New list on its way!

Got your second email, Yersinia. Thank you again and a belated thanks to hajario. Based on the information you both gave me, it appears the list I posted includes the entire series. Now I just need to find actual copies of the ones I’m missing.