City nicknames-- do people who live there use them?

Real New Yorkers live in Brooklyn. (Except Williamsburg. Because fuck those guys.)

Many (not all) Nashvillians are proud to live in Music City USA.

Some refer to it as Nashvegas.

If there are more derogatory names, I’m not familiar with them.

I will very very rarely say “Chi town.” Even unironically. I will *not *, in any context, ever say “the Chi.”

I came in here to mention Fluffia. I gather it’s more common in south Philly.

Other than that, I agree with Twickster and 11811. IME unless somebody is speaking formally, they always say Philly.

In my experience, any non-native who tries to pronounce New Orleans like a native (N’Awlins) just looks like an idiot. Ditto for New OrLEENS. It’s “New ORlins” to the rest of us.

(I added the “In my experience” as a backstop for when the next person says, “My family has lived in New Orleans for six generations, and we’ve ALWAYS pronounced it ‘New OrLEENS’.” New Orleaneans can be weird about pronunciation.)

Re. New York being called “the city”: that’s true, but it’s also true that every metropolitan area does that. If you’re in Evanston, Illinois your “the city” is Chicago; if you’re in the Bay area your “the city” is probably San Francisco. Heck, if you’re in Podunk Suburb, going to Podunk is going to “the city.” Nothing unique about that.

“The Big Apple” - never.

“Philly” is fairly often used.

“Charm City” - yes, I have heard a number of Baltimorons use this.

Same for Stumptown and Beervana. Some refer to it as PDX.

I remember Honolulu occasionally being referred to as the Big Pineapple in the local press, but I don’t think I ever heard anyone actually call it that.

No, to real New Yorkers, Manhattan is “The City,” and the other boroughs just go by their name.

And by the way, I never heard a Long Islander call it “LonGisland.”

Ooh, I have one. Once I went to Indiana and all the local news dweebs kept talking about something called “the Circle City.” I thought they were mispronouncing a crappy electronics retailer until I figured out that Indianapolis is vaguely circular. Whatever happened to “Indy?”

Because “The Mistake on the Lake” is more accurate.

And I assume you know why my company is called “Flaming River Art.”

Ah yes, the bridge-and-tunnel crowd.

Represent!

I’m not sure how real I am, since I was born here. My neighbor, Marty Markowitz (lives about six blocks away), was also born here, though, and I don’t think anyone is a realer Brooklynite – and therefore, a realer New Yorker – than he is.

Heh, Marty Markowitz. The guy whose sole political legacy is putting “oy vey!” on the signs welcoming people to Brooklyn.

The only time I can remember that I’ve heard “Chi-town” in conversation was in high school (many, many years ago). But that person who said it lived in a suburb.

So my answer to the OP is no.

My city, Sheffield, S Yorkshire is the Steel City or just Steel City (for it’s manufacturing base). I can’t recall if I’ve ever used it in conversation but I did use it to title a picture on Facebook recently. it got loads of likes fwiw.

I hardly ever heard the city I was born and lived the next 25 years in called anything but “Philly”. I was from West Philly and “West Philadelphia” would have been a mouthful. “Brotherly Love” is to laugh at and most of the other choices mentioned on this thread were probably more recent.

Was it the sure-kill expressway back then?

Yup, I grew up there, and the name “Mad-Town” was understood. We didn’t use it much ourselves, it was more common from the jockeys on the local radio stations - Z104 and 101.5WIBAFM. Dunno if those stations are still around, this would have been back in the 80s and 90s. I was in college there in the early 2000s, but by then nobody listened to radio for music any more.

A colleague of mine recently transferred to Houston calls it “Shit Hole.” She has never been one to mince words. :slight_smile: