City nicknames that city residents actually use

The ATL **
A-T-L iens
[as Demonym]

are present, but are too forced. You might get one or two residents to use it, but I would not consider the usage to reach the threshold needed to suffice the OP.

And a nice simulpost too, while I Was looking up Demonym.

That’s because your average Schenectady resident can’t spell Schenectady.

New Orleans also goes by The Big Easy and The Crescent City. Both of those are sometimes used by locals.

In written form, Montreal is often shortened to MTL, but I don’t think I’ve ever really heard it spoken.

In French, the provincial capital is often called La Capitale, to distinguish Quebec City from the province, although grammar and context rules usually make it clear anyways (au Québec, *à *Québec).

I’ve known people to refer to Sherbooke as Sherby in English, but never in French, and I commonly hear shortenings like Lennoxville as Lennox (and jokingly as Lennox-vegas), Drummondville as Drummond, Victoriaville as Victo, etc.

Boston is occasionally called the Hub or Beantown by the locals; it’s not particularly frowned upon.

Manchester NH is ManchVegas, although that is used semi-ironically.

Crested Butte CO is often called “The Butte” or “Crusty Butt”, but the latter isn’t endorsed by the Chamber of Commerce

Local news broadcasts seem to like “The Windy City”, but I don’t hear it very often in person.

I’ve heard “Chicagoland” in commercials, but do people use it in conversation?

I have wondered whether people from Detroit and Baton Rouge use the nicknames “Motown” and “Red Stick”… I bet some do but IDK.

I sometimes hear that actually spoken, pronounced “Skeedy”.

The official Schenectady nickname “Electric City” (due to Edison and GE associations) is sometimes used in local business names but I don’t think anybody calls it that in conversation.

Washington PA (south of Pittsburgh) is “little Washington” (to distinguish it from DC).

Baltimore is Bawlamer, Hon. :wink:
(and yes you have to say Hon as part of the sentence, it’s a rule)

I’ve only heard it referred to as Charm City in newscasts and political speeches. I don’t think I ever heard an actual resident call it that while I lived there.

I have heard it called B-more.

I use it all the time, but it doesn’t refer to Chicago itself, but the general Chicago metro area. It’s when I’m referring to Chicago + suburbs.

ETA: Yeah, “Windy City” is acceptable and used occasionally. That’s probably the most common local nickname. I’ve always like “The City on the Make” myself.

London used to known as “the smoke,” but I doubt whether it is used much any more.

Pasadena, CA, is know as both “the city of roses” and “crown city.” I don’t suppose you will hear either in casual conversation, but local media use them. In a similar way, local media quite often refer to Los Angeles as the “city of angels.”

No, we don’t give St. Paul that much credit. And the only people who use the term The Cities are yokels from outstate MN or Wisconsin.

There was an attempt many years ago to brand Minneapolis as the Mini-Apple. It didn’t catch on.

When I lived near the fourth largest city in Missouri, St. Joseph, it was usually referred to as St. Joe. A quick google shows a business named St. Joe Harley-Davidson, and references to a St. Joe Talent Show. The beginning of the Wikipedia article is, “Saint Joseph (informally St. Joe) is the county seat of Buchanan County…”

I heard more than one Torontonian call the city T.O., although that’s more in commercial use I think.

I have never heard a Buffalonian say “Queen City” or “Nickel City”, but you do hear “B-Lo” these days.

Friends from St. Petersburg, FL regularly called it “St. Pete.”

I’ve known severa; people from the big city in central Indiana. A couple used to refer to it as “India-No-Place”; a research physician who grew up there said that natives often referenced it as “Naptown.”

Another friend who is proud to be a Des Moines transplant told me that more than a few people use the airport identifier DSM for it – even though that has more syllables than the full name!

Agreed with this, and adding that both “Chicagoland” and “the Chicagoland area” are commonly used in referring to the metro area.

Toronto is often called Hogtown, based on the urban legend that famers used to drive their pigs up the main street. (Or else it had something to do with provincial politicians).
You can tell the locals, they pronounce the name “Tronna”
Ottawa is called Bytown, its old name from before ti became too self-important.
Sault Ste Marie is called “Soo”, the pronunciation of the first name.

Do Detroiters really call it “Motown”?
I always thought Frisco was the “City of Brotherly Love”.

There was the old joke about the lottery in Toronto. “First prize is a weekend in Buffalo, second prize is two weekends in Buffalo.”

No, that’s Philadelphia, always been. In fact, the literal English translation of the name from Greek is “brotherly love.”