Clarification requested : "As a political group, Christians are sneaky, hypocritical, and dishonest."

Here is the exchange, in isolation:

What_Exit exchange (click to show/hide)

#55:

#100:

#101:

#102:

I don’t think What_Exit admitted that TriPolar’s post #55, as written, is “okay”. TriPolar may not admit that he made a broad attack on all Christians, but has subsequently apologized for giving that impression. It’s a half-apology, and that seems to be enough for What_Exit to back off from “very close to a warning”.

There’s room to criticize What_Exit’s moderation or TriPolar’s actions, but without getting into any of that, I don’t think you are justified when you conclude that What_Exit (one of the “two mods”) thinks TriPolar’s post #55 is okay.

Part 2, Hari_Seldon’s note. The exchange, in isolation:

Hari_Seldon exchange (Click to show/hide)

#55:

#63:

#64:

#68:

#86:

#94:

Of critical relevance is where Hari_Seldon wrote, referring to TriPolar’s post #55,

What they actually wrote was “As a political group, Christians…” which definitely limits it.

I can interpret TriPolar’s post in such a way that he only describes some Christians as sneaky/hypocritical/dishonest. In fact I did so when reading the thread - I mentally substituted “Evangelicals” or “Conservative Christians” for “Christians”. In the context of discussions about Christians and support of Donald Trump, I feel justified in my interpretation. The actual words TriPolar used, devoid of that context (and my personal grant of the benefit of the doubt), do not support my interpretation; but it is okay in context.

It turns out that my assumptions were wrong. TriPolar clarified in post #64 that he was not referring to Evangelical or Conservative Christians, but to any and all Christians “who strongly tie their politics and Christian identity”. There’s no easy way to defend Hari_Seldon’s mod note to Wendell_Wagner after post #64.

That being said, I would not necessarily classify TriPolar’s overall position as an unacceptable attack on or stereotype of Christians. I do not think his position should be verboten, provided it is on-topic in a debate: ‘People who strongly tie politics and Christian identity are sneaky, hypocritical, and dishonest.’ A while back I started a debate about whether religion should be a prominent force in politics, and I think TriPolar’s position would have been totally acceptable in that discussion, or as a spin-off discussion.

~Max