Classical Music Top 40

OK so I’m listening to Mendelssohn’s Incidental Music for “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and I’m thinking, This is just about the most accessible, unchallenging, listener-friendly classical music ever written; it’s like Classical Top 40. Then I realize that it’s not, actually, one of those pieces considered as the *actual *Classical Top 40. Then I’m thinking, well what *are *those pieces? Here’s the best I could do. What did I miss?

The first movement of Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony
Mozart’s “Eine Kleine Nacht Musik”
Strauss’s “Tales from the Vienna Wood”
Brahm’s Lullaby
Ravel’s Bolero
Pachelbel’s Canon
Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
The other Strauss’s “Also Sprach Zarathustra”
Wagner’s “The Ride of the Valküre”
Khachaturian’s Saber Dance
Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture
The fourth movement of Beethoven’s Ninth

Runners up:
Bach’s “Sheep May Safely Graze” and “Air on a G String”
Grieg’s “In the Hall of the Mountain King”
Leoncavallo’s “I Pagliacci”
That duet from The Pearl Fishers
Rimsky-Korsakov’s “Flight of the Bumblebee”

This is all top-of-the-heady; please nominate others.

Bach’s Brandenburg concertos.

Not actually classical, but then not all the ones you listed are classical either, so what the hey. :smiley:

I would put the first movement of Mendelssohn’s “Italian Symphony” over the Midsummer Night Dream stuff even – it’s even more accessible, better known, and instantly likeable.

Also:

Beethoven’s “Für Elise”
Mozart Piano Sonata in C (K???)
First movement of Mozart’s 40th Symphony
The William Tell Overture

In addition to the ones already mentioned there are:

The Sorceror’s Apprentice - Dukas (all thanks to Fantasia)
Claire de Lune - Debussy
The Swan - Saint-Saens
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy - Tchaikovsky
Firebird Suite - Stravinsky
Rhapsody in Blue - Gershwin
First Gymnopedie - Satie
Rondo alla Turca in A Minor - Mozart
Emporor Waltz - Strauss

And then there’s the less well known but impossible to leave out Battle on the Ice by Prokofiev.

Are you thinking of Concerto No. 21 (K 467)?

And I’ll add to the list:
Tchaikowsky’s 1812 Overture
Bizet’s Carmen Suite #1 with the March of the Toreadors

[QUOTE=C K Dexter Haven]
Are you thinking of Concerto No. 21 (K 467)?

[/QUOTE]

I’m sure he means the Sonata #16, K. 545.

I’d add:

Smetana: The Moldau

and substitute The Blue Danube for the J. Strauss choices already mentioned.

Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata”

Barber’s “Adagio for Strings”

Vivaldi’s Spring concerto of “The Four Seasons”

Bach’s “Prelude in C”

Voted by the listeners of a classical music station: http://theclassicalstation.org/top100.shtml

[QUOTE=rowrrbazzle]
Voted by the listeners of a classical music station: http://theclassicalstation.org/top100.shtml
[/QUOTE]

Depends which station you ask the listeners of! Classic FM, a very bland British ‘classical music’ station (heavy inverted commas), has done numerous surveys. Bruch’s violin concerto (no. 1 if anybody has heard the others) is a common winner, threatened by the Elgar cello concerto.

[QUOTE=Stealth Potato]
Bach’s Brandenburg concertos.

Not actually classical, but then not all the ones you listed are classical either, so what the hey. :smiley:
[/QUOTE]

There’s Classical and there’s classical, just like there’s Catholic and there’s catholic. I’m pretty sure you knew exactly what I meant–what everyone means–when they use the term “classical music.”

[QUOTE=Rodgers01]
I would put the first movement of Mendelssohn’s “Italian Symphony” over the Midsummer Night Dream stuff even – it’s even more accessible, better known, and instantly likeable.

Also:
**
Beethoven’s “Für Elise” **
Mozart Piano Sonata in C (K???)
First movement of Mozart’s 40th Symphony
The William Tell Overture
[/QUOTE]
Bolded items: Bingo.

See, by “top 40,” I mean the pieces that any Joe in the elevator would be able to hum along with, even if they didn’t know what it was called.

The Mendelssohn you mention, while overfamiliar to any classical listener, doesn’t quite meet that criterion, IMO. Good candidate for runner up though. And the Mozart, if you mean K279, then I don’t think so. The 40th is more widely familar, but again, I don’t see an average Joe humming along.

[QUOTE=bundykala]
In addition to the ones already mentioned there are:

The Sorceror’s Apprentice - Dukas (all thanks to Fantasia)
Claire de Lune - Debussy
The Swan - Saint-Saens
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy - Tchaikovsky
Firebird Suite - Stravinsky
Rhapsody in Blue - Gershwin
First Gymnopedie - Satie
Rondo alla Turca in A Minor - Mozart
Emporor Waltz - Strauss

And then there’s the less well known but impossible to leave out Battle on the Ice by Prokofiev.
[/QUOTE]

Three Bingos, with a lot of good runners up.

No list is complete without Rossini’s “William Tell” Overture. And “The Barber of Seville” Overture, too.

[QUOTE=C K Dexter Haven]
Are you thinking of Concerto No. 21 (K 467)?

And I’ll add to the list:
Tchaikowsky’s 1812 Overture [mentioned above]
Bizet’s Carmen Suite #1 with the March of the Toreadors [Bingo]
[/QUOTE]
The second movement of K467 is a good runner up too.

[QUOTE=Biffy the Elephant Shrew]
I’m sure he means the Sonata #16, K. 545.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that one, not the piano concerto.

[QUOTE=Biffy the Elephant Shrew]
I’m sure he means the Sonata #16, K. 545. [bingo]

I’d add:

Smetana: The Moldau

and substitute The Blue Danube for the J. Strauss choices already mentioned.
[/QUOTE]
The Blue Danube is what I heard in my head while I was typing Tales from the Vienna Woods. But I don’t see The Moldau on this list.

No love for Bach’s Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring?

:frowning:

How about Mozart’s Le Nozze di Figaro Overture?

[QUOTE=JohnT]
No love for Bach’s Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring?

:frowning:

How about Mozart’s Le Nozze di Figaro Overture?
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, had JJoMD in a post I was writing when I looked up and saw the time; I was late for work.

Now where was I?

[QUOTE=monstro]
Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata” [bingo]

Barber’s “Adagio for Strings”

Vivaldi’s Spring concerto of “The Four Seasons” [bingo]

Bach’s “Prelude in C”
[/QUOTE]
I think the Barber would be in a Funereal Top 40, but not in a general one.

Copland’s “Appalachian Spring”
Grofe’s “On the Trail,” from the “Grand Canyon Suite”
Elgar’s “Pomp and Circumstance March #4”
Tchaikowsky’s 1st Piano Concerto
Selected portions from the Messiah, including certainly the “Hallelujah Chorus”
Wagner, “Ride of the Valkyries”

Is Moussorgsky’s “Pictures at an Exhibition” well enough known?

Wagner: Lohengrin: Bridal Chorus
Rachmaninoff’s Prelude in c# minor
Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto #2: 3rd movement
Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto #1: opening of first movement
Chopin: Sonata #2: Funeral March