classical music

Cecil and fans,

In the movie “Boogie Nights” there was a part in the movie where the character, Dirk Diggler walks into his bedroom, and a classical piece of music was being played as he surveyed his room (approx. 12 min. into the movie). This piece is famous, yet I do not know the composer or the name of this piece… Could you please help me in finding this elusive answer?.. The soundtrack to the movie does not have it listed…

Thanks,
Slim

According to the IMDb, Bach’s Contata 147 (Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring) was part of the soundtrack. It was performed by Apollo 100.

Carpe hoc!

I didn’t see the beginning of BN, but what you’re probably referring to is the chorale from Cantata 147 (actually named “Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben”). The chorale itself isn’t named but the first line is “Jesu bleibet meine Freude” (Jesus remains my joy) hence the English title.

Sebastian Bach was a genius of a composer and he’ll always be one of my three favorites but that chorale is one of the most overplayed pieces in existence. And they always play it too damn slow.

Cave Diem! Carpe Canem!

Interesting factoid, Olentzero; I was completely ignorant of that. However, slim, Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring is accepted enough to where you’ll have no problem if you seek that specific title on CD.

Slim, just to verify, does the melody go like this: “da da DA da da DA da da DA da da DA da da DA da da DA da da DA da da DA da da DA da da DA da da…?”

Strainger, my friend, you have a future rich in royalties. Clearly you have a talent for composing the kinds of meaningful verbage usually found in rock clubs. Rock on !!
Typer