Classical or jazz guitarists?

I saw him perform in 1979. He was playing either an authentic baroque lute or a reproduction. I also have a jazz-playing friend, Paul Bollenback (another recommendation, BTW) who took classical lessons from him.

Huh. I thought he quit playing live by '77 (at age 30 :slightly_frowning_face:) .
Or maybe he came back occasionally?
Woulda given my right arm to see that.

I’ve been working through Lukas Brar’s YouTube channel. Kind of like Bill Bailey had a Swedish guitar playing cousin. But behind the jokes there’s some seriously impressive guitar playing.

And Mateus Asato puts out some beautiful things on YouTube as well.

I could be off by a couple of years. I saw him perform at U-M in Ann Arbor. Could have been as early as '76, the year I moved there.

I am very sorry, I was thinking of Michael Lorimer, not Christopher Parkening.

Just discovered this geezer - Matteo Mancuso.
(Here playing my favorite tune, the chicken)

( ^ that’s not him btw, that’s Riccardo Oliva the bass player !)

I don’t know what’s already familiar to the OP, but in the classical world, but how about the Assad brothers or Sean Shibe?

How about the Amsterdam Guitar Trio? I saw them back in the '80s, they were amazing.

Amsterdam Guitar Trio - Brandenburg Concert nº3 (J.S. Bach) - YouTube

A fellow who goes by the name of Trench. Here’s a link to his YouTube channel:

Although his playing style suggests influence of classical guitar, the videos are neither jazz nor classical. Nonetheless, after coming across this channel by chance a couple of days ago, I’m going to take advantage of this thread to recommend that you have a look on your TV (not smart phone) late at night when you’re in the mood for something relaxing. He plays nylon-string guitar with all the right techniques and beautiful tone, and he plays other kinds of guitar and instruments, as well. I’ve only spent a single evening going over the videos, most of which are covers of very different kinds of music. I didn’t see his face in any of them (appears to be a man; I thought I saw a bearded chin in one video). His dogs feature prominently, and that’s kind of an understatement. For the record, I’m normally put off by cutesy stuff, and I’m particularly underwhelmed by shoddy guitar playing. This guy is really good, his dogs are adorable, he seems to have a sense of humor and the videos are all about poignant beauty. Have a look, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.