Cleaning water stains from Formica

Mrs. Cat and I have just gotten our new house (yay us!) but the previous tenants left the formica kitchen counter slightly stained. Or at least, I think it’s formica, it’s some solid plasticy surface that’s a bit glossy.

The staining is heavier around the sink so I suspect it’s a water stain (it’s sort of orangey coloured) even though we have really soft water here. Regular cleaning with soap and water hasn’t produced any results, and I don’t want to damage the surface by scrubbing it or using chemicals on it, so I look to the collective wisdom of the dope in helping me get my counter clean!
Any tips or advice would be much appreciated! :slight_smile:

I used to work sales in a plumbing showroom.
A mixture of of water and vinegar should do it. I suggest wrapping the affected areas in paper towels soaked in it and let it soak overnight.

Congrats on the new digs!

If it’s iron, a vinegar soaked cloth layed on overnight should provide some clearing.

I’ve had great success using a paste of white vinegar and baking soda, and rubbing it in gently with a Dobie cleaning pad. For more difficult stains, like water stains that form around the edge of the sink, apply the paste and let it sit for about 30 minutes, or longer if needed, then rub gently with the Dobie pad. Be sure to rinse the paste off thoroughly afterward.

mixing vinegar and baking soda together makes fizz and wastes both. they neutralize one another and do nothing to clean.

often water spots are mineral residue. vinegar does good for that on surfaces, coffee pots, coffee makers, tea kettles, sinks and faucets. as suggested putting some on paper towel and letting it lay for a while is good for flat surfaces.

I like CLR for stuff like that, too. Or Soft Scrub with bleach.

I’d try the vinegar first, though.