I am a magnet for this. I’ve been lucky this year because last Wednesday was really the only time we’ve actually had snow or ice (and we got both within a few hours).
Anyway, I’m 27. I’ve lived in Massachusetts my whole life. I’ve been driving since I was 18. I’ve never caused an accident. I don’t tailgate. I don’t speed. I always signal. Basically, I earned my Step 9 (actually, I think it’s 99 now in MA). I’m not one of those people who has a safe driver rating just because I’m good at avoiding cops.
The reason I mention my driving record is this:
In my 9 years of driving, I have had my car attacked by flying sheets of ice a minimum of 1 time each year. Usually, it happens at least once per month from November through March, depending on how long the snow season is. I’ve been lucky. I’ve never lost a windshield. I have however blown out a tire.
My tally so far**:
I have been hit by massive sheets of ice from cars more than one car ahead of me. Usually, I’m the second one back but once I was actually the 4th back. The offending driver had a Hummer. It’s actually very rare that I get hit by someone right in front of me, mainly because even though I don’t tailgate, the ice sheet goes right over my low car.
I have been hit 4 times by cars at least one ahead of me, but in a totally different lane.
I have been hit more than 10 times by MASSIVE ice sheets from commercial vehicles.
I have only ONCE been hit by ice from the car right in front of me, and that was because it was a tiny sports car and actually had less headroom than my car. The ice would have actually had to fly up to miss me. It didn’t. It kinda flowed straight off.
Usually, my windshield isn’t hit. I believe this is because of the types of car I usually drive. Typically, my roof is it. Still cares the shit outta me though.
As for the blown out tire? Huge chunk of ice came flying off a truck which was 3 in front of me. It hit the ground right in front of my front right tire, went under the tire, and hit my back tire - which blew it out. Doesn’t sound very likely does it? What are the odds? Well, in my world, the odds are pretty fucking good.
Anyway, I actually don’t buy cars with an overall height which surpasses that of my shoulders. FTR, I’m only 5’2" at the very top of my little red head. This means that as long as I live in New England, I drive low cars. The low overhead means I’m less likely to be hit in the windshield. The only cars I’ve been in which have had the windshield hit were taller than my shoulder height.
As for how to remove a huge sheet of ice which is stuck to your car? Easy. Plan the fuck ahead.
How often really, does someone in a snow-prone area, wake up surprised to see a massive snow dump? I can’t say it’s ever happend to me. We typcially have warning. Even if I’ve only been told we’re gonna have an inch, with no ice, I still plan ahead and get up early.
My routine:
- Get up
- Put on some clothes
- Go the fuck outside, turn on the goddamn car and turn the heat on HIGH.
- Go back inside and shower, dress, and do other getting ready shit.
- Go back outside to leave for work.
You know what? The vast majority of the time, I just swipe my arm over the top of my car and the whole sheet of ice comes off in one large satisfying crash. The heat from the car’s heating system heats up the inside of the car. This heats up the roof of the car. This loosens the underside of the icefloe. You don’t have to melt the whole fucking thing. You don’t have to chop the whole fucking thing. All you have to do is slightly melt the underside and the whole thing comes right off. I almost never spend more than 10 minutes cleaning off my car. It usually only takes that long when ice isn’t the issue. Snow is a bitch to clear.
Another point, even when I try to plan ahead and end up oversleeping, I consider the safety of others to be far more important than whether or not my boss gets pissed at me for being late. If I wake up late, I call work, ask for a manger and then explain that I overslept and for safety reasons, I will be late as I need to properly clean my car. I have never once in 9 years had a boss get mad at me or write me up for that. I actually had one boss offer to pick me up and drop me off because it would take less time than waiting for me to clear 2’ of snow off my car.
** Please note that my tally isn’t typical. I don’t know anyone who has been hit as many times as I have. But, you can understand why this topic pisses me off. I don’t like adrenaline rushes. They make me feel sick. I especially don’t like getting them while I’m driving at 65MPH.
Oh, and to the fucker who hit my car today (he was 3 cars ahead BTW) - It hasn’t snowed since goddamn fucking WEDNESDAY!! It’s now Sunday! Why the hell haven’t you cleaned off your car yet! My car was frozen to my driveway for 2 days after the last snow and I still managed to get it cleared off and road safe before today.