Clenching your buttocks during a Terry stop? Prepare for your anal probing.

A (then) 63 year old New Mexico man was stopped by Albuquerque police. During the stop, the police claim that the man appeared to be clenching his butt. A drug dog apparently was used on the vehicle and supposedly hit. I say supposedly because the defendant’s lawyer claims that the canine in question may just be someone’s pet. A warrant was sought and issued to search the man’s anal cavity. He was taken to a hospital where he was probed digitally twice, then x-rayed, then given three enemas, then x-rayed again. He was ultimately given a colonoscopy. No drugs were ever found. To add insult to injury, he was billed $6000 for his involuntary medical procedures.

WTF??

A few questions come to mind. How could a judge issue a warrant based on butt clenching? How many anal probes is too many? I’m thinking the answer is 2. Why give the man a colonoscopy? If the drugs were that far up his colon, he wouldn’t need to clench to keep them up.

The defendant’s lawyer contends that the issue may have been racially motivated and that the Hispanic police involved didn’t like a white man living in their area.

I understand the need for qualified immunity for civil servants but IMHO, this was way beyond the pale. I hope he takes everyone involved to the cleaners.

Full story here.

I hope the warrant was granted on what the judge believed was a genuine well-trained drug-sniffing dog.

But I’m afraid to go read the article.

The thing that galls me the most is that they charged him for the bloody privilege!. On what fucked up logic could they possibly justify that?

NM

That’s what got me.

I mean it was stupid and wrong, but if they honestly think the guy is a criminal…I can’t excuse but I can understand.

But sending him a bill for it? WHAT???:eek:

I agree.

I mean I know people sometimes keister dope…but if you can’t see it with a probe and a fucking enema…FUCK! A colonoscopy???

Thanks a lot Obamacare!

Let me guess, it happened near Roswell ?

I’m chuckling at the Obamacare line…

Well, this story answers the question “What’s worse than a death squad?”

“Police forced New Mexico scrap metal tradesman David Eckert to undergo two digital anal probes, three enema insertions and ultimately a colonoscopy after officers incorrectly assumed he was concealing drugs…”

Clearly this is an open and shut, open and shut, open and shut, open and shut, open and shut, open and shut case.

Why couldn’t they just do an X-Ray???

Very good. :smiley: And also true, given the seemingly limited warrant and the ER doctor’s willingness to testify.

If there is any justice, both the cops and the hospital personnel (who are taught to know better) will go through the rest of their lives with their names on the Sex Offender List – that, at least, can’t be passed off to the employing agencies like the financial judgments.

They did. They ignored it.

I hope he collects millions.

After this, I don’t know if I would be able to unclench when driving through New Mexico.

A police dog was reportedly present and indicated suspicion. But the lawyer is saying it was just a generally trained police dog and was not trained in drug detection.

It’s definitely not going to help the state’s case that the first doctor told the police that this was a violation of medical ethics and refused to participate.

The colonoscopy propels it into the realm of the surreal. Are there *any *circumstances where someone can be ordered to undergo such a procedure, lawfully?

:slight_smile: Well, that sure would explain a lot! “Hey, it happened to us, let’s do it to him!”

Or maybe, New Mexico is the training ground for our first interstellar explorers.

He’s going to have to install a number-taker machine at his door to accomodate the lawyers lining up. Not only is he going to get rich off his lawsuit, he’s going to be squeaky clean and polyp-free!

It seems to me that the doctors and hospital would have refused to do the procedures just because of the potential lawsuits.

Me, too. I hope the Albuquerque PD soon suffers a financial anal rape.

Like Turnip said, this entire thing is fucking surreal.