Cleveland beating Yankees in 9th, 19-0! WTF?

I don’t even watch the Indians anymore. We got close to the top back in the mid-90’s. But the dictates of modern corporate America assure that …

Holy Fuck! My kids watching this. Now it’s 22-0!!!

When were the mighty Yankees spanked this badly?

Of course, they could always come back in the bottom of the 9th. :smiley:

There just has to be some justice for living in Northern Ohio and having Cleveland as your center of sports. We take what crumbs fall from the table.

As a Sacramento Kings/San Francisco Giants fan, I feel your pain.

It’s always nice to see the Yankees lose.

This is a nearly-annual ritual. The Yankees are just setting it up. The Beantowners are given ray of hope. A nuggest of sunshine that this-is-really-it, we’re-finally-going-to-win. Clearly the Yankees are folding, the Redsox are unstoppable. It has to be this year! Then…

Yoink!

I hereby declare that the Cleveland Indians will appear in the postseason in the year 2005, 2006 at the latest.

can’t… stop… laughing!!

I can’t wait to see George’s comments in the morning. He won’t be pleased.

According to Baseball tonight, never. Not in Yankee Stadium, at least, since its inception, when they scored 0 runs. Now, there may well have been a 34-1 game, but this particular tidbit specified a shutout. Similarly there may have been a game pre-Yankee Stadium featuring a more fiercesome ass-whipping … with reach-around, that time, one hopes, since none was to be had here. And a’ course it’s possible that they lost 24-1 on the road at some point.

According to CBS Sportsline, this was the worst loss in Yankee history…bar nothing. But I know a lot of queer baseball conventions exist that don’t recognize certain achievments based on altered conditions such as The New York Yankees most decisive win not being its 78-2 win over the Houston Wheat Farmers in 1872 because the Wheat Farmers were paid, on average, more than 7 percent under minimum wage and therefore were not considered a major league team in 1872 because, to be considered a major league team at the time, the team’s average salary could be no more than 6 percent less than minimum wage. Stupid stuff like this probably negates some or all of those scores you mentioned. But I don’t know and I didn’t watch Baseball Tonight…tonight. I think I will catch the late edition however.

They’d lost by 18 runs twice in the past, to the Indians and the Tigers.

Here’s a piece of trivia from Sportscenter: Tuesday was the first time that BOTH the Mets and Yanks were shut out at home on the same day.

And . . . the Indians have 34 unanswered runs (they beat the Chisox 9-0 on Sunday) – some kind of record?

Go Tribe!

Mooney252

Luckily for us, the New York Yankees have only existed since 1902, so they couldn’t have played the Wheat Farmers in 1872.

I was about to correct you and say 31 runs, but I did a little checking and – by golly! – the Indians did happen to score the last three runs in their 5-3 loss to the Chisox on Saturday.

I should have had more faith in you!

The all-time record for runs by one team in a game is held by the Red Sox who rang up 29 on the St. Louis Browns back in 1950. That followed a 20-4 drubbing of those same Browns the previous day for the all-time two day total of 49 runs (to the Browns’ 8 total runs over those two games).

Hehe. I doubt the Yankees could have ever played the Wheat Farmers as I just made them up an hour ago (The Wheat Farmers…not the Yankees). My point is that MLB’s structure was so loose many many years ago that many of the statistics and records are not recognized today because actual Major League teams would play “local” teams, clubs or 9 guys with nothing better to do. No hard schedules existed, allowing Major League teams, at times, to play whoever they fancied for the sake of playing. Thus the disparity of competition was suspect at best. Maybe at one time records of these games were legitimate, but today are discarded…in most cases, rightfully so. As an example, I offer this. Many impressive feats of professional baseball were achieved in this game, but how many broadcasters have you ever heard mention Nig Clarke (8 for 8 with 8 home runs)? Thusly, many of the scores that would normally qualify as “the worst Yankee loss (or win) ever” are not recognized due to the conventions of competition once upon a time.

I thought I had chosen a crazy enough name that it would get recognized as being so. But my downfall is that teams actually did have such crazy names (i.e. The Cleveland Clowns [NFL]).

Ever since Elvis1Lives started his pit thread two weeks ago, the Sox have picked up 7 games on New York. Clearly, Boston’s recent success is a direct result of this thread. Next year, they go wire to wire with Elvis as the skipper.

Heh. Sorry, I should have added a smiley. I knew what you were getting at, I was just trying to be funny. I miscalculated the effect my post would have. Carry on!
:slight_smile: :wink: :smiley: (select appropriate smiley) :o

I choose: :wink:

Impressive, yes, but it was the minor leagues, after all, not the majors.

And, for the record, Total Baseball says that the all-time worst was the 35 runs given up in one game by Dave Rowe of Cleveland (NL), back in the late 19th-century. I’m going to have to go back to check that one, though.

Wa-hoo!

Minor Leagues? correct. But professional baseball nonetheless (minor league=pro ball). My point being that if this is the all time record for home runs in a **professional ** baseball game, how come **professional ** baseball announcers rarely, if ever, talk about it? It’s because the conventions of the game have changed so much since way back that a lot of the (records, stats, worst defeats, biggest wins, etc) are not now recognized. Hence, even though the Yankees lost 28,556-2 to the Sioux City Whack Jobs in 1903 (didn’t really happen) it doesn’t “count” even though, at the time, Sioux City and the Yankees were both considered “pro” teams (not minor league team v.s. major league team). Well…definitions of pro teams have changed since then and now we have divisions (majors and minors) and divisions of divisions (A, AA, AAA). So a game between the Yankees and Whack Jobs, once legitamate competition; once considered a professional baseball game; now considered a minor league vs major league baseball game, is treated with no more respect than an exhibition and subsequent records and stats eliminated from, the “major league” books. Hence the Yankees may have, in fact, lost 33-2 (or whatever) on 6/2/1905 (or whenever), but it has *no more weight * than me beating the yankees 45-3 on my XBox, sending in a screenshot to MLB Headquarters and directing them to include this in the Yankees’ annals of worst losses.

I was going to say, I don’t even think they grow wheat in Houston. Besides everyone knows that the Houston team of 1872 were the Fightin’ Eskimos, except when they played in Toronto were they had to go by the Fightin’ Inuit.

LOL! I am legitimately laughing out loud here. I’m not just typing “lol” because your post was funny and I felt a need to acknowledge it thusly. I am laughing out loud!