Cleveland Indians considering a name change [Edit: It's "Guardians"]

I think “First Nations” is more common in Canada, isn’t it?

The Indians don’t need to change their name; just erase all traces of that god awful logo. Christ that’s an awful depiction. Far worse than the Redskins, as bad as that name was.

My Canadian friends have said “First Nations” for 15+ years or so. I like the term.

I agree completely. My native friends and relatives generally feel the same way. They don’t hate the name, but that logo…

I once thought it’d be a good idea to commission a Native American artist to come up with an appropriate logo, maybe memorializing Louis Sockalexis, who played for the Indians in the 1890s.

That would’ve pissed off both diehard Cleveland fans who remain attached to the old logo, and progressive sorts who think it’s demeaning to have a team named the Indians.

Go Spiders! No one will want to tangle with you.

“Spiders” is an awesome name with a history that makes sense.

Yeah, I’ve pretty much come around to that way of thinking, as well.

Keep the name. Change the logo to a picture of Gandhi. Or Kamala Harris.

Perhaps the Colts should be mentioned as well. They’d be better as the Spiderapolis Colts.

Fightin’ Maccabees?

Spiders, baby!

Welcome to the Web!!

Cleveland Grovers, with a bushy mustache as their logo. :slightly_smiling_face:

Team owner Paul Dolan said today that the team name will change, but not until after the 2021 season, at the earliest. He also said that they will not be using an interim name, as the Washington Football Team is currently doing, and so, they will be the Indians for at least one more season.

This is such a bullshit move. You knew going into the 2020 season that you were likely going to have to change the name. Some super fan has already given you an amazing logo for the Spiders name if you want that. If you want something else (an article off the one above suggested the Blue Sox which I actually kind of like), pick it. Either way, this isn’t going to the moon or curing cancer, pick a name and move the fuck on. The sooner you do it, the sooner you get double merch sales (selling out all of the old stuff and selling the new stuff).

Yeah. At a bare minimum, if team leadership had any sense at all, they would have started seriously exploring a new name this past summer, when the ex-Redskins dropped that name. If they had a little more sense, they would have been exploring this by early 2018, when they announced that they were dropping the Chief Wahoo mascot.

It’s possible that the “no change for 2021” was driven, in part, by a deadline from MLB to declare logos and uniforms for next season (and I’m not sure when that date is), but even if that deadline is relevant to the decision, they should have been planning towards that date with this announcement. It all just makes them look slow to react to the obvious.

And, really, if there’s a deadline, MLB couldn’t maybe work with them on extending that for THIS purpose?

One might think so, yeah.

Looking back at when the Brewers announced their new uniforms for this past season (including the return to the “dogpaw” logo), it was in mid-November of last year; if MLB has a deadline for uniform changes, I imagine that that’s when it is (more or less).

But, I agree with @RickJay – I imagine that MLB management has seen the Indians’ name as problematic for a while now, and might’ve been willing to provide some wiggle room on a deadline if it meant the end of the name earlier rather than later.

Paul Dolan: You know after sober reflection we’ve decided the Indians nickname is derogatory and needs to be changed. We can and will do better.
Fans: What’s the new name?
Paul Dolan: Oh, we’re gonna take a year or two to think about it. Until then we’re keeping the Indians name. After all, what’s the rush?
Fans: :roll_eyes:

Now that is clever.