Clever hacks that you've never gotten to work

Here’s hoping you are right handed…pull the thread up through the hole, and use your left hand to hold the thread while you twist thread around the tip of the needle you are holding firmly in your right hand. Bring the needle down either the same hole or a thread up and while holding the thread gently to keep the tension even, GENTLY pull the needle down until you have a pretty knot. The most important part is to be gentle, otherwise you just pull the knot through the fabric.

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

There’s a whole bunch here:

Imgur

You can do this. I can help.

Too late to edit, but in the second pic I would have had my index finger gently pressing the floss against the fabric, probably 3 or 4 threads away from the needle. French knots are surface work, you want to do everything close to the fabric.

Here’s a way to peel eggs VERY easily:
https://smile.amazon.com/Negg-Boiled-Egg-Peeler-Blue/dp/B085G3Q3BX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1MVI7H4F1XZF4&keywords=hard%2Bboiled%2Begg%2Bpeeler&qid=1650899445&sprefix=hard%2Bboiled%2Begg%2Bpeeler%2Caps%2C77&sr=8-1-spons&smid=A12E5P3PELSDDW&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySUpXRVQwMFM5TUFDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODUyODk0R0s0SUk2MDhGWTJGJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2NDIzNjIyWFlLUTVINVRSUjBLJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Being somewhat thrifty, I didn’t want to shell out (sorry!) the money… so what I do is put several eggs in a plastic container, fill it halfway with water, put a lid on it, and shake it vigorously 10 or so times. Open up - and the eggshells practically FALL off the eggs. I did a dozen in about 2 minutes once. I’m not sure why this works so much better than, say, peeling the egg under running water. Obviously you need 2 or more eggs to make this work - banging against each other is what cracks the shells. The gadget I linked has bumps on the inside to accomplish that.

That said, I do start with IP-cooked eggs. I put a dozen or more in, a cup of water, and do 2 minutes low pressure, 2 minutes natural release, and then release the rest of the pressure and immediately dunk into ice water. IP-cooked eggs are generally easier to peel than ones cooked on the stove; the shake-in-water hack is one I only use when I’ve got more than 2 or so to peel.

My regular supermarket will have plastic jars of garlic for about $6 that contain like … I dunno … forty or fifty peeled cloves. Maybe even more. Also, they will have smaller, resealable bags with vacuum-sealed packets of peeled garlic cloves – around 20-25 total – in the produce section, too.

My store has those two. Also, and this is probably true for just about any store with a deli, we have hard boiled, peeled eggs. They’re not expensive.

When I want hard-boiled eggs, I steam them in a regular pot for ten minutes. I’ve had no problem peeling them after.

I’ve heard that steaming is a good way to do it, as well.

Some time when you’ve done a bunch, try the shake-in-water trick and see if that makes it even easier for you.

For me, 12 minutes works right. Do you do yours out of the fridge? 10 I’ve found still leaves a wee bit of liquid in the center. I generally do 6 for soft, 12 for hard. But everyone should experiment, because their set-up may vary. At my mother-in-law’s, I had to do 14. (I checked one at 12 to make sure, and it was just the barest bit liquid still.) These are all straight-from-fridge.

It’s been a couple of months since I hard-cooked some eggs, but I think I left them out for a couple of hours first.

Our hen’s eggs are always at room temperature, but vary substantially in size. One hen occasionally lays a Jumbo, and one lays mediums, but most are larges. I use 10 minutes for hard boiled, but fudge up or down as needed.

Last week I steamed 14 eggs straight from the fridge for 12 minutes and they were cooked exactly right.

You mean like my vintage kichwit jar opener? New ones look like this.

This one was around long before the terrm “hacks” came into use.

Getting tailgaters to fall back by flashing your headlights (and thus activating tail lights at the same time, simulating braking) has never worked for me. Tailgaters are oblivious.*

*when not actively psychopathic.

Huh, yeah, I have seen Sterno boil off the water in chafing dishes on multiple occasions if they sit too close. That shit gets HOT and will definitely boil a reasonable amount of water over it. You can’t boil a whole 9 quart pot or something, but a small saucepan of water shouldn’t be a problem.

Sticking a pair of fingers into your mouth and blowing to make a whistling sound.

I flunk.

Me, too.
My wife will pinch her lower lip with her fingers and then inhale sharply through the resulting triangle. It’s remarkably loud.

You know what’s lots enough for me? Yelling.

Has anybody ever actually hung wrinkled clothes in the bathroom, taken a steamy shower, and magically found their clothes de-wrinkled?

To my mind, it’s like snipe hunting or cow tipping. Pranksters have been perpetuating this “tip” for decades – long before we started calling them “hacks” – for amusement.

Yes. It’s probably simpler to just spray the clothes lightly with plain water from a clean spray bottle, though.

Yes, done it many times. Works especially well when traveling and staying in hotels/motels. Leave hanging all night in steamy bathroom, shut the bathroom door.

Yes. When I interviewed for medical school I had a wool suit. I always hung it in a steamy bathroom the night before the interview and the wrinkles were all gone in the morning. It all depends on the material, though. It works best on natural fibers in a relatively heavy weight.