Clever hacks that you've never gotten to work

Hell, you can always keep a strap wrench around if jars are that much a problem. :slight_smile:

I just tap the lid a few times with the handle of a butter knife. Works every time.

Here’s the hack I never had any luck with: to clean hard deposits on the bottoms of bottles or vases with narrow necks, pour in rice, add soap and water, cover, and shake vigorously. No matter how vigorously I shake, it doesn’t work.

I should invest in a variety of bottle brushes, I guess, but I seldom need them and have little space. Maybe if I tuck each grain of rice in a tiny steel wool jacket…

Lemon (or equivalent acid), coarse salt and ice, sez my dad the chemist. Scrub. Or shake I guess. I’ve seen it work but I only use it on absolute baked on gunk, not subtler problems.

Not exactly a “hack” per se, but whatever:

Have any of you bought one of these goddamned things? Myself and a couple of friends ruined an entire 12-pack of Faygo diet grape trying to get it to work. Followed the directions precisely.

🍻 Remove the Top of Aluminum Cans with this Tool! - YouTube

Try vinegar. Just enough to cover the spots and let it sit for a while. With any luck, you won’t even have to scrub.

That thing was on Shark Tank a couple weeks ago. It looked like the dumbest product and none of the Sharks could get it to work. I couldn’t understand what the point of it was.

The dude promoting it in the video struggled on half the cans he was trying to open. I timed it, he’d be going for 30 seconds before shoving the can lid into the drink. A regular human has the can open, poured and is sitting down enjoying it by then.

Watching that I kept thinking, “Or, ya know, just get a glass.”

There’s a youtuber I watch from time to time that reviews new/as seen on TV type products that had a difficult time with that as well. Seemed like a whole lot more work than it was worth.

Sly Fox Brewing and a few other breweries offers a 360 can, where the entire top of the can comes off easily, leaving no sharp edges.

But what’s the point? Isn’t that what the tab’s for? Are that many people planting herb gardens in empty cans?

If it was easy, I could see people wanting to feel like they’re drinking out of a glass. But if it’s much more work than just opening the pop top, I don’t think people are going to want to put this much effort into it.
Also, I don’t think I’d ever be comfortable with that. I’d always be concerned I’m about to slice my lip open.

The 360 can is an improved user experience. With the top removed from the can you can appreciate the aroma without pouring into a glass.

My friend otto , man he never gets these puns.

I should have thought of that one! I suck at puns.

Very good!
(Only took me 3 days to figure this one out.)

I still haven’t figured it out.

You wanna be a little careful with that. If the lid is glued hard enough you can generate enough torque to messily shatter a glass bottle you are gripping very tightly. Those scars are still there.

The garlic peeling in the bowls thing works much better with stainless steel bowls or me for some reason. Grab a nested set, take the two largest, turn the smaller one over and push it down in the larger one like a huge Boston Shaker. Thenshake the hell out it for 15 seconds. Always gives me a pile of nude garlic and skins.

Spoiled in case you want to figure it out on your own.

Spoiled in case you want to figure it out on your own.