Clever hacks that you've never gotten to work

Easy.

One I can’t get to work: put a lemon in your microwave and it will peel all the grime off so that you can just do a quick wipe-around. Nope, it’s just the same and doesn’t even smell that lemony.

Boiled eggs are easy if carefully lowered into really boiling water with a slotted ladle, then, when they’re cooked, taken out with same ladle and put in a pan/bowl/whatever of cold water. They take ages to cool down otherwise, anyway.

My problem is with the timing for when they’re cooked, not the peeling - that’s always fine. Older eggs have more skin to peel than newer ones.

Have you tried cutting the lemon in half first? :slight_smile:

ETA: you also have to switch the microwave on for a minute or two.

But be careful in case the sharp bit punches a hole through the side of the lid thus leaving some little metal bits sticking out which, when you go to open the lid and your hand slips, neatly slice through some of your fingers.

Rubber-coated gloves often work to loosen jar lids. I do have rubber pads to help me open jars, but the older I get, the more sealed the jars seem to get. Why do manufacturers think we all have the strength of Hulk Hogan?

I used the “butter knife under the lid” trick with a jar of Sweet Pickle Relish last night. Worked like a charm.

I’ve found silicone-lined oven mitts & pot holders to be pretty good at opening stubborn jars of pickles as well. They provide a significant increase in grip.

We have thin silicone things that I think were intended for opening jars and they are like miracle devices. You don’t need to clamp down super hard to prevent the jar and lid from spinning allowing you to put your muscles into the actual opening. Makes jar opening easy.

And why does everyone think that black plastic embossed with black lettering is the perfect design for legibility?

I’m pretty sure I can do that just as fast with my bare hands.

Yes to both. Wouldn’t have occurred to me to try any other way tbh.

Sorry, I was mostly amusing myself with the idea that (the way you worded it) someone might just put a whole lemon in a switched-off microwave and wait for magical cleaning to occur - I was 99% sure that someone wouldn’t be you!

The same people who design grey on white web pages.

Yeah, I suppose it did sound that way!

I use this tool to open jars. It’s only $7 and works very well for me.

Or the people who design small white on yellow cooking instructions.

Those are hard to beat. I have several I got from thrift stores and yard sales. Yes, I know I only need two (one for each house) but I like collecting cool kitchen gadgets.

Both life hacks to prevent a toilet from overflowing (open the lid and hold the plunger up/get on the floor and turn the valve off)

Every single time i do it despite me doing it as quickly as possible enough water spills out over the sides anyway to make it pointless. I’ve heard people claim that even at an already almost overflowing toilet and hitting either valve you can successfully stop all water but that has never even worked in toilets that had water at the minimum height possible in a toilet.

I second the Instant Pot. I could never get peelable boiled eggs, without taking half of the white off with the shell, until I used the Instant Pot.

5 minutes at pressure, 5 minutes natural release, chill, and eat.

I put a cup of water in the microwave with a splash of lemon juice, nuke it for 5 minutes, and let it sit for a while. The gunk wipes right off.

Now, if only cleaning my oven was that easy!