Clowns Love'em or hate'em? I don't think they are oddly appealing...

The problem is these birthday party clowns, or walk around and squirt you with water clowns, don’t really have a clue waht they’re doing and are essentially crap.

Some of my favorite clowns can be found here ath the Cirque du Soleil

I see the point about the old guy dressed up in makeup to play with the children being a little scary, but in the right context, a good clown can be amazing.

Clowns meant to be funny?

I think so, but not realy for children, the traditional clown paradigm represents in a comcial (and often disturbing way) the Master/servant relationship. The White Clown, is in charge and the Dumme clown is the servant. I’ll see if I can dig up some more details.

Stephen Sondheim and Krusty the Clown fans would disagree with that.

I’m kinda surprised that JW Gacy only came up once in this discussion - he not only was a clown, he also painted them. Want a Gacy clown painting? Better bid soon!:

http://www.epier.com/BiddingForm.asp?881783

Pennywise the Dancing Clown: scary
Sweet Tooth (from the Twisted Metal series): Cool in TM2, disturbing in TM:Black
John Wayne Gacy: Pure evil
Shakes the Clown: Funny movie
Insane Clown Posse: annoying fans
Ouchy the Clown (google if you dare, I’m not posting a link): Kinda frightening, but seems like an interesting person
Knockers the Klown (see above): I’d hit it.
Mad Clown (Super Punch-Out!!): A bit annoying, but easy once you know the pattern.
Dead Clown (Red Meat): Been there awhile. Harmless, but creepy
Doink (former, short-lived WWF wrestler): Pretty amusing, actually
Ceramic clown dolls: Smash them. Smash them all.
Kinko the Kid-Lovin’ Clown: As long as the kids love him back, he’ll never wear a frown

How do you make a clown stop laughing?
Hit him in the face with an axe.

Very good! I’ve got my eye on you, Ms. Xmas!

Clowns have also been fairly mysterious to me, neither scary or amusing. I’ve also never seen the attraction of circuses, parades or similar shows. I do remember finding the garish clown colours unappealing, and would always object to anything decorated with them.

I’ll never forget going into hospital when I was around 11, and being forced to wear bedclothes covered with a cackle of dancing clowns. Whatever anaesthetist thought of that is a genius – after the shame of wearing those, no operation is going to hurt a child.

Okay, I’ll give you Krusty…