CNN: The Paper Resume is Dead

According to this fluff piece (and fluff piece it is, no matter whether it’s right or not).

Frankly, I hope it’s wrong, especially with the prominent “pushing” of Facebook. I frankly fear the thing, after all the privacy horror stories I hear. I do, however, have a LinkedIn account, and it’s already gotten me a job (albeit because of its job posting capacity, rather than actual networking), which has led to further expanded opportunities, so I’ve already gotten a lot of value from it.

But back to paper resumes being dead. What do you all think?

I just applied for a job yesterday with a paper resume. Electronic submission wasn’t even an option.

Seven minutes later, CNN said the paper resume is actually alive. :wink:

I haven’t sent out a paper resume since the 20th century, but I still send PDF and/or Word format resumes as file attachments. No Facebook or LinkedIn required.

Win.

My linkedin profile includes the majority of the info. that is on my resume, with the exception of specific contributions I’ve made during my specific roles. My basic profile is publicly available.

I receive about 3-4 job inquiries a month from various headhunters, from my linkedin profile alone. I’m very happy with my current job, and have no current desire to move. If I was to follow up and move to the next step, I’m sure that a my specific resume, which list contributions and accomplishments, would be requested…and I would do it on line.

Same here. However, when I have to review someone else’s, I invariably print it out first.

Wow! I didn’t know buggy-whip makers were still hiring! :smiley:

Well the actual article doesn’t talk about paper resumes so much as any kind of resume. The only time I’ve seen a paper resume in years was at a job fair we held, where there was no good way of submitting electronically. If we had been interested in any one, though, we’d have asked for an electronic copy since that is how our system works.

But they were talking about web companies evaluating based on web presence. Drawing conclusions from this is like saying that resumes are dead because if you are applying for a writing job you submit clips, and for an art job you submit a portfolio. The only web presence I care about is publications. I couldn’t care less about a candidate’s YouTube presence, and if they blabbed about their current job on the web I sure wouldn’t want to hire them.

As a general rule, the article is garbage.

Printing a resume onto paper may be dead, but the idea that we won’t have documents that look like resumes ready to be printed that get emailed or put on a website instead is jumping the gun. Facebook isn’t going to replace resumes, not for most jobs anyway.

I haven’t sent a paper resume in my entire working life, which would be since 1999.

Never looked at want ads in the newspaper, either.

Yep, if you want to work for me, mail or email me a resume.

I sent my last paper resumes in 1996 when I graduated college. After that, it was all job sites.

The article is stupid because it is both right for many reasons but also very wrong. The idea that recruiters won’t require some sort of standardized format for submitting your application for a position is absurd. Recruiters aren’t scouring Facebook and Twitter looking for a VP of Finance or Director of Marketing. And anyone with half a brain secures their online presence so your boss can’t see you getting drunk in the middle of the work day. Well, except one idiot who worked for me who had a picture of her in the middle of a bar on St Pattricks day with a wall clock behind her that said “3:39pm”.

But without a doubt, more and more of the job hunting process is handled through databases and web applications. You can submit a job req, receive applications, sort and file them, select a candidate for an interview and track the entire process digitially. The only time I need a paper copy of a candidate’s resume is when I print it out during the interview for convenience.

I haven’t gotten a paper resume as initial communication or inquiry about a position in years. Most applicants still have a paper copy of their resume with them when they come in for a scheduled interview, however.

What kills me is almost no one does cover letters anymore. When did that cease? Yes, you should send a cover letter with your resume, even when submitting online.

My daughter Germany is looking for a job, and she is working long and hard on cover letters. However, I’ve gotten plenty, and none of them have been any good, in the sense that my decision to interview was unaffected by them.

I still do cover letters and expect at least a token attempt by applicants who I am considering. Any jackass can spam a resume to a thousand addresses; it takes a modicum of effort to introduce yourself and explain why you are qualified for a particular job.

About half the job offers I’ve received in recent years have required online application of some sort, and the other half required me to send in my resume as a Word document. Nobody seems to want you to mail in your resume anymore, and mailing out copies of my resume unbidden hasn’t ever done anything except waste paper and stamps.

Wow. That’s the real story here.

I suspect that this is a complete failure except in certain fields.

Are social media making the resume obsolete?

This is the defining question of the day. Well that and “Is your kids learning?”

I haven’t mailed a physical resume in years and years.

I do, however, have an electronic resume that’s been submitted hundreds of times.

An employer needs to know your job experience, your education and your strengths. A resume is a great product for providing those things in a succinct manner. I don’t see it disapearing anytime soon.

Nearly all my interviewers have had a phyisical copy of my resume to consult during my interview.

What I’ve always hated about the paper resume is all the bullshit worry and advice regarding non-substantive issues. What kind of paper is it on? Oh, no, regular printer paper isn’t good enough. You need resume paper! Oh, no, you can’t use that ugly font. Oh, no, it’s just over a page. You have to squeeze it. The type size is now too small. The margins need to be broader.

Feh.

The good thing about LinkedIn and USAjobs.gov and other electronic systems is that everybody’s resume ends up looking the same from a superficial sense and so the only differences are your actual education, experience, etc.