Co-winner of $330 M. Mega Millions credits Wiccan gods for his good fortune.

Link.

Ye Gods! As an atheist who finds all religions absurd, if not equally so, this made me chuckle. Take that, conformist monotheists! Is the apparent injustice of this situation allayed by the old canard that “God works in mysterious ways”? Between the Michigan’s and Notre Dame’s losses over the weekend and this, I’m positively high on Schadenfreude… or is it anticipation of the upcoming fall equinox? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, if the Wicca gods and goddess can make someone win a mega million, where do I join?

What is so different from all the christians who say god or jesus got them everything?

Personally, I find crediting everything good to god/jesus is smarmy when you also dont blame them for the bad stuff that happens. I dont happen to think that any particular diety would give enough of a care to make sure that someone won something, be it a baseball game or a lottery. Wll, maybe if you were pagan and it was the goddess of luck=)

I’m with Annie-Xmas, where do I join?

If you saw a picture of the winner I think you will agree the real reason he went into that store was to buy, and eat, 25 Twinkies and a few Snickers before class. But more power to him - although the promise to teach if he wins was a little strange…most teachers promise to STOP teaching if they win.

That’s funny. I’ve always wondered what I would say if I won $10 million in the lotto. That’s so random, yet I just might start believing in God. OTOH, if I kept my wits about me, it’d be really fun to thank Isis for answering all those small animal sacrifices I’ve been making.

Reporter: “What? Cut camera, now!”

It’s no different at all, in that both are giving credit to non-existent beings for a probability exercise. It’s just that this particular set of non-existent beings don’t usually get the air time.

I would definitely, were I to win the lottery, be giving all kinds of “Jesus is a fake and had nothing to do with this!” soundbites.

If I were a wiccan god, I’d strike down any poseur who inferred that I gave a rat’s ass about the lottery. In fact, all utterly selfish pleas would be routed directly to my Spam prayer folder.

As far as striking them down, I’d be torn between an old fashioned lightning bolt and having him choke to death on a Twinkie.

I tend to attribute this sort of stuff to pure blind luck (though I do believe in Something and lean toward pagan, frankly), but I don’t see why he’s any more mockworthy than people from a more standard religion doing the same sort of thing. Equally, yes, but not more so.

I don’t know about you guys, but I misread the ad at the bottom of this page for 'Buddism Ringtones" and thought that was pretty astute of Google.

Once in DC, the number 666 came up on Power Ball or something. Almost makes you wish you could have been in line with all the people who bet 666 every week, doesn’t it?

Hee.

When I win the next Powerball, I’m thanking the Flying Spagetti Monster.

(bolding mine)

Um…wasn’t he teaching already? Doesn’t sound like much of an exchange to me.

It always amazes to see the absurd lengths atheists will go to to attack Chrisitanity.

If you knew more about the bible, you’d know that God does not consider having a lot of money to be a good thing. Quite the opposite, in fact. Being rich tends to lead to greedy, self-centered behavior, and generally makes it much harder to be a good person. That’s not the sort of gift God would give.

Uhhhhhh…cite? I’ve read in the Bible that “the love of money is the root of all evil” (and I believe this) but nowhere do I see where “God does not consider having a lot of money to be a good thing.”

Any religious person who complains about being stereotyped should consider this statement. Bill Gates is not like this. Oprah Winfrey is not like this. I could list a million millionaires who are good people. It is impossible to make a lot of money with your own abilities if you are a greedy, self-centered, bad person, simply because other people won’t put up with you.

I WANT THANK OG FOR MAKE THIS HAPPEN! OG SAY MONEY BUY HAPPINESS! I PROMISE TEN PERCENT RIGHT OFF TOP GO HELP OG SMASH ENEMIES! OG SAY CAN’T WIN iF DON’T PLAY! ALL YOU NEED IS DOLLAR AND DREAM! PRAISE OG!

Thank you Satan! \m/

Boy, I bet the Calvinists hate to hear that. :wink:

I’d like to thank Cecil Adams and all the folks at the Straight Dope, wait, I’ve got a list here … “Sorry! The administrator has disabled the list of members”? What?!? Well, fuck them!