Coaxial Digital Audio Cable - will a standard RCA-plug cable work?

The only way I can connect my Blu-Ray player to my stereo is through a Coaxial Digital Audio output. It looks like a standard RCA jack on both the disc player and the stereo receiver, and about 95% of the dialogue on a Blu-Ray gets through, but every few minutes, the audio stops for anywhere from one to ten seconds. It’s not on the disc, as if it play it through the TV (through the HDMI), it works fine.

Monoprice sells a “Coaxial Audio/Video RCA cable,” but it says that it can also be used for composite video, so I don’t see what makes it different from a standard RCA cable. Could this cable make a difference, or is the problem more likely with some combination of the player and stereo?

Video/digital audio “RCA” cables should be 75 ohm cable, since they operate at frequencies high enough to need impedance matching. Baseband analog audio doesn’t require impedance matching and plain audio cables aren’t typically controlled impedance. A cable meant for composite video should work fine for digital audio.

What is it you’re using now that is not working? A cheap RCA cable? Something else?

Is there an optical/TOS connection between the two? Optical is overrated but an inexpensive TOS cable might be more reliable than a coaxial cable. But in general, yeah, any reasonably good cable should work for the purpose. Digital audio and video are very forgiving and error-corrected and do not need uber-duber-monstah cables.

I wouldn’t call it “cheap” necessarily, but it is a “generic” RCA cable.

The receiver has an optical input - in fact, that’s how I had my previous disc player connected - but the disc player does not have an optical output; just coaxial digital and HDMI, which is connected to the TV.

It may just be faulty. Use any decent-quality, decent condition video cable and the problems should stop, unless they aren’t with the cable or connection.

Odd. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a piece of gear that didn’t have both types of digital audio connector. (AFAIK, they are both provided by the same chip, so leaving one or the other out is a matter of saving pennies on a connector.)

There is also a variant of HDMI that would let you connect the TV to the receiver to pass-through the audio signals. The acronym/variant escapes me at the moment, but Google and your equipment specs would let you know if that’s an option.