Cocktail: Manhattan...or?

I poured 2 ounces of Cocchi Americano and 1 ounce of Sazerac rye over ice, added a couple of dashes of Angostura bitters and a cherry, and enjoyed it. Is this a recognized drink? Sort of a Manhattan? Or?

Just a different ratio than a regular Manhattan, no?

Wrong ratios, wrong mixer.

I’ve never had Cocchi Americano, but it looks close to dry vermouth? But more bitter? I suspect it’s distinct enough that whatever you made is its own thing.

Important thing is that you enjoyed it!

Wrong vermouth, wrong proportions for a Manhattan. Maybe a Scarsdale?

Add some red vermouth and a bunch more rye and you’d have a “Perfect Manhattan.”

A “South Side”. Put it next to a Sobieski Collins with a splash of Krupnik and alternate drinks; you’ll have a brawl in your mouth that tastes like stale athletic socks and broken glass!

Stranger

Now you’re talking!

I’d consider it a variation on the Black Manhattan, where the amaro is usually Averna. And of course the ratios are the other way around.

So… not a Manhattan, but a Brooklyn?

They get iced tea.

Stranger

I’m going to call it the Statin [sic] Island

That’s how I’d describe it too.

Oh darn, I thought that was a sweet vermouth. Is there a popular sweet vermouth with basically the same name?

Carpano Antica?

If so what you made was an out of proportion Manhattan. Reverse them and try Peychaud’s bitters for a change.

That’s what I use in my Manhattans so I’d have recognized it.

I think I was thinking of this:https://drizly.com/wine/dessert-fortified-wine/dessert-wine/cocchi-storico-vermouth-di-torino/p5716

The last Manhattan I made was Sazerac Rye and Carpano Antica vermouth. Great combination.

In Imbibe, that’s described as a “Formula #2 (Reverse)” variant on the Manhattan, and is described as being basically a Vermouth Cocktail, which was essentially a cocktail with vermouth instead of liquor.

Flip your proportions and you have a very good Manhattan recipe. I’m a big fan of Carpano Antica, and Sazerac Rye is good as well.

That’s a different sort of Zazerac than we had in New Orleans, where it originated I believe. The “cocktail” was invented there too. An alcoholic tips their first glass of booze towards New Orleans like the Muslims face Mecca for their prayers : >)

A N.O. style Zazerac cocktail is rye, sugar, bitters and absinthe. We also invented getting drunk, peeing on Bourbon Street and being arrested. Some things we do really well.