Coconut cream - even more heart-clogging than coconut milk?

I was shopping tonight for a curry I’m making, and the recipe calls for coconut milk. The first store I went to only had coconut cream, which it touted for pina coladas. I wasn’t sure if that was the same thing as coconut milk, so I went to another store to get coconut milk. (The things I do for my cooking - it was -32 out, and I didn’t really want to do a lengthy detour, but I did.)

So does anyone know - are coconut milk and coconut cream the same thing, or is there a difference? Could I have saved that second trip in the cold?

coconut water: the raw liquid in a coconut
coconut milk: coconut water cooked and condensed
coconut cream: the solids that float to the top of the coconut milk, richest in saturated fats. Very yummy, and about as healthy as eating lard.

Personally, I take offense at the suggestion that eating lard is bad for you… :slight_smile:

No, this is incorrect; coconut milk and cream are not made from coconut water. From the Ayam Coconut Milk product description website:

or, from Cuisine Net website:

that’ll teach me to answer off the top of my head

i found it odd that the curry had cashews, and the recipe went on about how the fat in cashews is mainly monosaturated, better for you, etc. - then you dump in 15 oz. of coconut milk!

now that I’ve eaten, I’m going to the gym.

(Thanks for the info, everyone.)