Cognitive dissonance at Townhall.com

Mm-hm. Do you have any idea how much you’ve just done to discredit the Republican position? I mean, just imagine what a pathetic, Ogawful mess American (or Canadian) history would be if what you characterize as the “Republican” view had prevailed in every election.

Eeeeeeeeh… I wouldn’t bet on it primarily being about race, but partisan loyalty. It’s not all that outlandish a bet, I don’t think.

After years of Bush being hammered on for every idiocy, scandal and bit of cronyism or corruption that he was waist deep in, some Party Faithful have actually begun to refer to people who hate Bush as having “Bush Derangement Syndrome”, as if one has to be deranged to dislike Bush on the facts. That some of the same people would, then, support someone like Palin while slamming Obama is unsurprising. Palin is theirs, Obama is the enemy. As an added bonus, Palin really seems to piss a lot of them thar Libruls off, which, let’s be honest here, is reward enough for a certain segment of the voting populace whose knuckles tend to get scraped when they’re walking over blacktop. Not that such a dynamic isn’t present on both sides of the aisle, I’m sure that there are more than a few Dems who’d wet themselves with glee if some fundamentalist atheist got the nod. “Look at those fundies seethe, whee!”, we’d no doubt be hearing from certain people.

Of course I can’t prove it, but I strongly suspect that we’d see the exact same dynamic if, say, Obama was white and McCain had chosen some relatively unknown, but pretty, black woman. We’d see spin and double standards.

Forget it Jake, it’s politics.