Colibri's insult in General Questions

You don’t know what you’re talking about = direct insult?

That’s not what I said. Stringbean made that allegation, but he was wrong about everything he stated.

And that’s the Ethiopian Shim Sham. Lol. Anyway, I was directly responding to what simster said not indirectly discussing your insulting GQ comment.

But telling a mod to warn another user is also junior modding! :smack:

Of course you did. Whatever about anything else posted in that thread, what you typed in that post was an insult.

I think there’s a bright line between calling somebody “stupid” and calling somebody (directly or indirectly) “ignorant”. The former is straightforward ad hominem insult. The latter is not, provided that it’s backed up with an honest attempt to show that the person’s assertions or arguments are based on genuine lack of knowledge or misunderstanding of concepts, rather than just a difference of opinion on a purely subjective matter.

Of course, showing that somebody is ignorant can also make them look stupid. But that’s true any time somebody is pwned in an argument.

That is still attacking the poster though. I thought the accepted convention was saying that the “post” was ignorant.

and you would have saved everyone in this thread time by not insulting a poster in GQ. Maybe you should give yourself a Warning to remind yourself to not do it.

I will take Colibri at his word that he did not intend to attack the poster, but it’s clear from the exchange that the poster in question did see it as an attack. And the post itself seems completely pointless from a moderating perspective–the problematic behavior it indirectly addresses had already been addressed in a superior manner.

It seems to me that it would have been better if Colibri apologized for the misunderstanding. And that, perhaps, such snarky posts that serve no function be made as a poster instead of as a moderator.

You know, I did just link to a thread discussing how I got warned for saying someone didn’t know what they were talking about, ie they were ignorant.

I didn’t say anyone or anything was ignorant.

All I can say is that you evidently don’t understand the rule against personal insults on this board. What I posted was not a personal insult.

And if you take this remark as being insulting, that will just prove my point.:wink:

Personally, I think Colibri would have been fully justified in warning UberArchetype for “being a jerk.”

Also, clearly the “nothing of value” refers to the “education” UberArchetype claims to have been providing. Thankfully, there’s no SDMB rule we have to pretend that a poster’s condescending attempts to “educate” us with inaccurate “facts” are of any value.

UberArchetype himself states clearly his belief that Colibri insulted him by not believing the “veracity” of his “knowledge”. Thankfully, there’s also no SDMB rule that we have to believe whatever a poster claims is true.

I didn’t say you did. If you had read more closely you would have noticed I was responding to Riemann.

Colibri’s snarky post was made as a poster, not a moderator.

So should we bookmark this thread for when someone gets warned or noted for a snarky post similar to Colibri?

Know what this is?
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
All the hairs that are being split in this thread.

I considered it.

Correct.

You haven’t already? I’m sure someone has, just on principle.

You missed one.

Distinction without a difference. “your posts are worthless” isn’t any less insulting than “you are a worthless poster”