Colloidal oatmeal baths: relaxing soak or POOL OF POISON?

I am reminded of the book The Emigrants, in which a four year old girl gorges herself on porridge that has not soaked sufficiently. The grain continues to swell and swell in her belly until her bowel ruptures and she dies.

That would probably not happen with ground-up oatmeal, but I think moriah is right in that a couple of spoonfuls of powder could make a pretty solid sludge in the GI tract.

The stuff we have has mineral oil in it, so I think it’s a self-correcting problem. :eek:

By the time one is finished soaking oneself in it, I probably wouldn’t eat it.

Thats his retirement paper… his swan song… the fat lady singing. He got mentioned only in a few papers from 1970 … and its an opinion piece beating up the presence of ‘phenols’ in oats.
They published it, but how credible is it, does the paper even say that there is any actual effect of the phenols as anti inflammatory ? The greater benefit might be that the skin absorbs about a pico-gram of starch… hey thats like eating !. Why not just eat it ? The paper doesn’t suggest why eating a few oat grans wouldn’t be far more effective…