Colonoscopy follow up

@Die_Capacitrix You may want to rethink that trip to Burger King. One of my post-op instructions was to slowly reintroduce friend foods.

Also, there is a product called Ensure Clear Mixed Berry that my doc allowed me to have on the liquid day. It didn’t taste bad and helped me avoid total hunger because it has a good level of protein.

Oh, that does sound familiar. I didn’t read through the aftercare instructions. Or maybe they give those after the procedure, to read while “enjoying” the post-op broth.

Maybe just a milkshake, then.

That’s so interesting. My diet allows dairy! And nothing but liquids the entire day before.
My appointment is for 3 pm, so I’ll be fasting a long time. :frowning:

Clear liquids, or can you drink dairy the day before?

No! I’ve already bought my plain broth and apple juice for
the occasion. :frowning: I’m scheduled for next month. They’ve
already cancelled me twice because of Covid.

And BTW, I’m considering not starting the diet until five days before.

UK here.

My fifth quinquennial check two weeks ago. All clear.

The colonoscopist(?) said I won’t need another (I’m 70). At least, I think that’s what he said: I opted for the sedative, and that makes things confusing. Mrs M had to drive me home too. I need to 'phone my GP to check.

Other remarks: I had to go to take a Covid test 72 hours before, and then self-isolate till the visit.

Visit was cancelled once (in December) due to Covid, at 30 hours notice, i.e. after I had started taking the Clean-Prep! Had the Covid test and self isolate before that one, too!

Following good advice on SDMB, took the Clean-Prep mixed with generic non-low-sugar “Lemonade” (think, 7-Up) rather than water. Drank the whole 4 litres over 12 hours without nausea. Usual results, but no problems!

Just back from the Covid test - yeuch I hope I don’t have to do that again.

“When will I get the result?” I ask, naively.
“Put it this way,” the nurse says. “No news is good news.”

I’ve always heard to avoid anything with red dye in the days beforehand as well.

This is my pet peeve about colonoscopies. In every one I’ve had, the doctor came to talk to me soon after the procedure, while I was still recovering from the sedative. For the most part, I end up with no clear memory of what he said to me. In most of the cases, I had a family member in the waiting room just outside, whom they could have called in to listen to the doctor, but they don’t do that, they just tell the results to the sedated groggy patient.

I remember the anaesthesia going in and about 5 seconds after. The next memory was them telling me I’m all done and after checking vitals, removed the pulse oximeter, BP cuff, and nasal cannula. They wheeled the bed to recovery and I was using my phone in 5 minutes, dressed and sitting in a chair in less than 10 minutes with no grogginess.

To be fair, every previous time my wife has been close by and has heard what I needed to know. Not this time of course, because: Covid. She had to sit outside in the car in extreme low temperature (-2deg C!) for 2 hours.
I had the sedative this time - didn’t lose consciousness - because last time I found the examination very uncomfortable.

My husband doesn’t remember any of the conversation after his colonoscopy, but I was there as well.

For mine, I was already coming out of the sedation when I was in the room, and even before he was quite finished. This was planned by the doctor. Interestingly enough, I changed clothes (I think I kept my bra on, but it’s been 5 years) in the room where the procedure was done, and got dressed again afterwards.

Because my husband had vomited during the clean out they did an extra enema before starting, so he changed in a separate room (recovery room) and he was rolled in and out of the examination room on a bed.

There’s nothing on my doctor’s website about whether people can wait. I’ll call them the week before to confirm the appointment and find out if my husband’s allowed to be there.

No sedative being offered here now. You can have gas and air (the same stuff they give to women giving birth) or grit your teeth.

Colon surgery tomorrow, so I’m right between the two does of Suprep now, and on a clear liquid diet. As the instructions stress, clear means you can see through it, but it can be colored. Mercifully this means a Coke or whatever non-red pop is OK. I’d much rather have that than coffee without milk.

Then at night, I have to have the Special Carbohydrate Drink. 16 oz of white grape juice, and another of those tomorrow morning before leaving for the hospital. Apparently the carb loading helps with surgical recovery as your body isn’t completely starved and bereft of fuel.

Yeah, low fiber for a few days. Which is very counterintuitive - you’d think you WANT the fiber to help move things along, to avoid, well, bricklaying tendencies.

I need to call my doc for a pre-procedure visit. I’m a frequent flier - every 3 years - due to that first screening procedure. 11 years ago. I will never be a candidate for Cologard, sadly.

In the US, the Pico-Salax variant has now been replaced with a premixed version. Bleh.

Nitrous oxide? Probably the same stuff the dentist uses, but a bit stronger.

Tomorrow is the big day. My C19 test was negative and I have drunk the required four litres of yuck and sent it on its way.

The hospital is one I have never been to before but it looks easy to find. This procedure has involved visits to three separate hospitals.

Hope everything was OK for you, Bob.

Good luck!

Up and enjoying my coffee. Thanks for asking.

The hospital I went to was a bit like stepping back fifty years, from the outside at least. It is a small ‘community’ hospital and looks rather shabby at first sight. Inside, however, they are fully up to date.

The reception, carefully masked and distanced, was smooth and efficient. The procedure was much as I remember from before, and I was curled up on a bed watching a high rez screen as they piloted a scope up my bowels.

Those scopes are amazing. They wriggle around all the convolutions looking around, and then when the consultant spots a polyp, his assistant manipulates a lasso to snag the critter and cut it off at the root. I could hear him giving the nurse instructions; “Twist to the right, a bit more, Got it!”

The samples now go off to pathology and my GP will phone me with the results in about six weeks (used to be quicker but Covid…).

As I only used gas and air I was okay to drive home 30 minutes later after tea and biscuits. Nice biscuits, terrible tea.

All in all a not terrible experience, notwithstanding a near run thing in the night before when I barely made it to the loo in time.