Colorado: the beginning of the end of Prohibition (recreational cannabis use)?

It’s not complete nonsense though. And I think the MMJ side of the business may continue. It’s tax free. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Wouldn’t a different president simply be able to re-enforce the federal law against pot? From what I understand, Obama simply told the JD that he wasn’t going to enforce the fed. statute against pot. Seems simple enough that a different president could just start it up again. If I have the facts wrong, please correct me

Still waiting for a Representative or a Senator to introduce a bill taking it off Schedule I…

…still waiting…

…nope, not yet…

(glances at watch)

I don’t know how this works in a federal system; can the President deny a state an established revenue source approved by the state electorate?

No, but Congress can. Make it illegal, that is. They can’t force the state to make it illegal, but they can force the POTUS to enforce the federal law.

I think there’s sort of a social concept that recreational drug users are inherently a lower class of people, and thus more unruly. I’ve never used it, but my experience is that the cross-section is broad enough, that any collection of recreational users won’t be meaningfully different than any other broad collection. Personally, if anything, I’d have been shocked if there were any problems.

Even if there were, within a certain amount, it wouldn’t matter. Using digital music as an example, despite the fact that it is still fairly easy to get free music, a lot of people are opting to pay for it. They may be doing it because of the fear of prosecution for music piracy or because they want to support the artist or some other reason, but people aren’t always going to pay the lowest price they possibly can. I think marijuana offers even greater incentive, because the alternatives aren’t free vs. not-free, and the risk of prosecution is higher.

Why pay $60 for an eighth on the street, when you can pay, say, $70 to get it legally and also have no concerns about quality, and know that the money is going to public schools and a legitimate business rather than some random drug lords.

Obviously, if they can offer it at the same price or cheaper, which I imagine they ought to be able to, then even that’s not an issue.

Might want to use a calendar.

Note that all of this violates federal laws…Eric Holder…comment?
I’d beware the DEA-they are threatened by this, and will lash out 9they don’t want to lose their cushy jobs).:mad:

They’re not going to do it with Obama as president. At least that’s my understanding. And why would the DEA be threatened by this? Colorado’s doing perfectly legal state law stuff. If anything it frees up the DEA to go after actual harmful criminals

There’s plenty of other far more dangerous drugs they can go after.

It’s 4:20.

Just sayin.

Praise Jesus and all.

I wish I could try legal marijuana to see if it would help with my IBS. My company prohibits it and does random testing, however, so it’s not going to happen.

Once it’s legal to grow, the cost should plummet. It’s wicked easy to grow some amazing stuff in your backyard with little or no work. Plant a few seeds every year, and you’re set.

You can grow it legally, with a license.

Rocky Mountain High, Colorado.

You can grow up to six plants on your own property, no licence needed. That is part of the legislation.

Well, that’s probably over the top, as there are still going to be drugs that are illegal even if MJ becomes legal across the board. That said, if MJ were to become legal across the board it would free up a lot of law enforcement resources to do other things.

Eventually it would be billions, if this were to spread and pot were to become like alcohol or tobacco products.

Not sure how much gangs are involved in the MJ trade…I was under the impression that most of the criminal gang activity revolved around much harder drugs.

Absolutely.

Yup…the cost savings or freeing up of police assets and resources alone will probably be worth millions.

Same as above.

I don’t think this is going to do much for the War on Drugs™, so I’m not seeing this one.

Goes hand in hand with others above. I’m more focused on the cost savings and resources and assets that will be freed, personally. As with Prohibition, the stuff IS (or was) illegal, so folks who flaunt that do so at their own peril. I’m more than good with it becoming legal, but when it’s illegal you pays your money and you takes your chances.

I think this is a good first step and will be an interesting test case. I assume that other states are watching this very carefully to see how it turns out…if it turns out positive I could see other states eventually adopting similar measures.

I suspect the federal law will crumble with time. in practical effect, there’s going to be an increasingly hard time not merely enforcing it, but justifying it and the Supreme Court is unlikely to look very favorably if it is challenged again.

Unlikely. The SCOTUS is not going to weaken the jurisprudence surrounding the interstate commerce clause. If it’s legalized federally, that will have to come from Congress.

It might be challenged under the doctrine of desuetude. Or, perhaps, Colorado could have enforcement of the federal law estopped under the doctrine of detrimental reliance, or, for that matter, entrapment.

After all, Colorado would never have allowed recreational sales if the federal government hadn’t declared that they wouldn’t enforce federal marijuana law against states that legalized it.