Colors that you really, violently hate

Blue drinks.

Taupe.

That blah putty-like color that can’t make up its mind if it’s gray or brown. The word and the color just EXUDE ugliness. It’s the color of goverment buildings where the agency’s retirement plan is to make all its workers commit suicide before they retire. It’s the color when you have this idea that it’ll go with everything as a nice neutral backdrop but really it just brings down the whole decorating scheme.

I was picking out a new couch, with the help of a decorator, and had chose navy blue leather. We needed to pick a paint color for the room.

She suggested taupe.

I nearly gagged. That color will never exist in any house of mine. It’s not even EVIL, it’s just… blah. Like living on oatmeal and nothing else. Anyone who chooses to paint something taupe is boring, unimaginative, and probably a member of That Other Political Party :wink:

I love a lot of colors too. Oddly enough, just like the OP, the only two I really dislike are teal and pink. The worst though, is the combination of pink and black. In enough quantity, it makes me physically sick.

I love the orchids and lilacs and purples and periwinkles and greens and yellows. I have to be VERY careful in planning home improvements: iridescent purple, copper and bamboo green mosaic glass tile is stunningly gorgeous to me, but I doubt anyone else would want it.

Barbie pink. I like pink, but then there’s the offensively-loud pinks and Barbie is the worst.

The combination of cyan and chocolate brown. They’re both perfectly fine colors, but damn, do we need to see them together all the frigging time?

I never even knew what some of these colors looked like until this thread. Puce and mauve, for example.

Oh is that what Chartreuse is? I never knew. I’d call it lemon-lime. It looks quite tasty. And I would call that salmon rather than puce.

And that lilac looks more like pastel purple.

The darker a color is, the less likely it will appeal to me. I prefer the strong primaries, then the soft pastels. The muddy dark blues, greens, browns and purples, not so much. But I wouldn’t say I hate them. Hate is a terrible thing.

I really like chartreuse but I loathe that McDonald’s sign yellow. I don’t know the fancy word but it’s a bright unhappy yellow with the slightest hint of orange.

Our walls were painted by my fiancee’s daughter, long before we moved in, a kind of yellowy greenish brown. It can only be described as “baby poo”, especially in the bathroom where the lights are kind of yellowy. I suppose it inspires one to take a crap, though. Maybe she meant it to be a masculine color, but hell, he’s blind and I’m the one who has to look at it.

Another pick - tan. Hate, hate, hate tan.

I hate orange, especially when it’s joined by brown. I spent Grades 1 through 9 at a school where the school colours were orange and brown, and then moved on to Grades 10 through 12 at a school where the school colours were… wait for it… orange and brown. I graduated from high school nearly 20 years ago, and I still hate that combination.

Brown, however, can have some lovely shades if it’s not blended with orange. Orange, on the other hand, always sucks.

Teal green - a garish, cheap blue/green that is obtrusive and dated. I’ve owned teal green items of clothing that were nothing but bad news. Runner up: egg yolk yellow. I’m not too fond of royal blue (an ugly not-navy that was the color of the gymsuits we were forced to wear in school)

There’s a dark shade of green I particularly loathe. It was the color of our middle school uniforms and it was just so drab and made everyone look sallow and unhappy. Actually I either love or hate shades of green. They can be incredibly flattering or butt ugly depending.

Yellow. Actually, make that most pastel colors. Blech. They make everything look nasty and pale.

You also think it should be a shade of pink, huh?

Burnt Sienna. Not because it’s a bad color – I don’t think there are any bad colors. I love colors; they’re all great – but because when I reached for the brown crayon in the 64-crayon pack with the built-in sharpener, I’d always, always, always pull out the burnt sienna first. Burnt sienna is not brown and it would cause my glorious tree to have a trunk that was mostly brown but with a streak or two of burnt sienna.

Oh my word… PINK.

The modern girlie obsession with pink makes me want to vomit. What is it with women these days? All little girls want to wear nothing but pink, women frequently say pink is their favourite colour, it drives me bonkers, like all women have brains like Barbie. Where’s individualism gone? Actually, I could happily start a pit thread on this subject.

I’m sure pink never existed when I was a little girl. I don’t remember any of my friends wearing pink, or having a pink bedroom (mind you this was the 70s - we were all in brown and orange).

I love most colours and am usually very open minded about colour choice - I’m a designer, the Pantone book is my oyster - but pink drives me nuts. It offends my feminist sensibilities.

Magenta, however, is excused from my wrath. I rather like magenta.

Oh yeah, I also forgot navy. The colour of choice for the conservative and unimaginative. There is nothing more depressingly middle-aged than a navy blazer.

I hate orange but I love peach and apricot. I don’t like any of the “hot” or “neon” colors. Except for hot pink – hot pink is okay in signage. But not in fabric.

I don’t like John Deere green either.

I forgot about navy. Maybe because it’s so utterly forgettable. Ugh.

I think I figured out why I don’t like lilac. Aside from what Diosa said upthread about it being an old lady color, it’s weak. It’s too afraid to just stand up and be purple, so it settles for a washed-out, meek, inoffensive existence.

Ugh. You people are the reason that most clothing comes in mainly neutral colors (white, ivory, black, red, brown, navy blue, gray), plus one or two totally pedestrian shades (usually of green, blue, or purple) that happen to be in fashion in a given season. I have to hunt in the boutique lines to find the really interesting colors.

I’m wearing a ruffly chartreuse sweater as I type this. Take that! :slight_smile:

That said, I don’t really hate any colors but I think there is a time and a place for all of them. I can’t wear red, for instance. And that aggressively bright yellow house on my sister’s street hurts my eyes.

Heh. Oh, pink existed in the 70s, all right, and I know because when I was a little girl it was my favorite color – because I was different, and rebellious. You see, back then, every little budding feminist in the second grade had one of two favorite colors: blue or black. But I liked pink, and I wasn’t afraid to say so. Where’s individualism gone? There never was any, at least in the matter of little girls and colors.

BTW, I’m proud to say that pink is still my favorite color, not because I’m a Barbie, but because it always was, even when it didn’t exist. But I’m with zweisamkeit - I love all colors. Not all of them are good on the walls, or for my clothing, but all of them are good for something. My favorite thing though is a whole rainbow of colors. I am much more likely to buy something if I can get it in a variety of colors. Today I’m wearing a shirt I own in three colors, a jacket I own in two (and am planning to purchase a third shortly), pants I own in three colors, and shoes I own in two colors. As far as I’m concerned, the more colors the better.

I posted my hatred of the color Chartreuse yesterday at lunch (yeah, I thought it would have been a shade of pink too), but when I got home from work I noticed some of the autumn leaves in the backyard were that color and they looked kind of nice. I guess Zweisamkeit is right, it all depends on context.