Comcast DVR setup

In another thread I mentioned that my DVR always cuts off the last 30 seconds or minute or whatever of recordings. Someone said that can be changed. Yesterday I went to DVR Setup, but did not see where an adjustment can be made.

Does anyone know how to extend the recording time on a Comcast DVR?

(I did send Comcast an email this morning, but I thought it might be faster to ask here.)

If you’re recording a single program:

[ol]
[li]Select the Record icon[/li][li]Select View recording settings for this program[/li][li]Select Stop recording and press the right arrow button to increase the amount of time after the normal stop time[/li][li]Select Record program with these settings[/li][li]Confirm[/li][/ol]Series recordings work in a similar fashion.

Thanks, Morgyn. I was looking for a way to change it globally and didn’t think to see if it could be done to individual recordings.

I’m not sure you can do what you want to do. Sounds like there might be something wrong with your clock. Why don’t you call the service number at comcast? As much as I’m not a fan of comcast in general, I’ve found their technical help to be very good.

No idea if it can be done globally. I’ve noticed the same issue myself, for some reason programs run juuuust past the time the clock says. No idea why. Usually that cuts the credits, but the abrupt ending can be a bit jarring.

Given we’re on opposite sides of the country, I’m betting this is a problem with the whole system. Wonder what causes it.

Naw. Morgyn’s answer was correct. Start and stop times are approximate after all, and aren’t scheduled to the nearest second. It’s possible for an end time listed to be 30 seconds off or so. You can set variable start and end times on a Comcast DVR. I do it all the time and Morgyn nailed down the correct answer. You do it in the listing for the program and you can apply it to all shows for a season at once.

Assuming the OP is correct, you’re wrong. He says his DVR always cuts off shows about 30 seconds too soon. There is no way that I know of to make the change globally. You can make the change each time you set up a recording, and it’s much easier to tackle if it’s a series recording, but it’s still a manual process.

This is why I always set up my recordings to start 1 or 2 minutes before the start time and to end 1 or 2 minutes after the scheduled end time (one program or series at a time, no global settings). That makes it more likely that nothing gets clipped at the front and back ends of a program. Cable programs don’t always start and end at precisely the scheduled times. In fact, sometimes they don’t run at all according to schedule. Such are the vagaries of cable programming.

Mine does too. and it does it for nearly everyone on Comcast, from the complaints I often see on the Dope. You’re right, adjusting the shows manually is the only solution. So I think you’re just splitting hairs. I think Johnny meant “globally” as in changing the settings for all shows in a season,Futurama in particular, and Morgyn answered his question. As nivlac said, cable programs don’t always start and end at precisely the scheduled times. Some shows cut off early. Some don’t. It depends on the network which is airing the show. Anyway, he knows how to do it now.

I think I heard once that the Comcast DVRs in the Seattle area are running different software than the Comcast DVRs in the rest of the country. Is that still the case? If it is, advice from people in other places might not help you very much. If you look on AVS Forum, they have threads for most local Comcast markets. Someone there can probably help.

My TiVo rarely cuts off shows, for what it’s worth. It does occasionally happen, but not very much. There are a few channels that are perpetually out of sync with the real clock, so on those I adjust the recordings to compensate, but honestly I can’t remember the last time I had to do that.

I’ve had a comcast DVR for about 8 years, and it’s never been a problem for me. None of my friends or acquaintances has this problem. If it were that widespread, comcast would have gone out of business.

I’m glad you have never had your DVR cut off a program at the end. But don’t assume your experience is universal. Your mileage may vary, and all that. I’ve had mine for 7 years and it is a common occurrence. It’s not Comcast’s fault, and it’s not a problem with the equipment. The problem as a couple of us noted, is that networks’ schedules are often variable and that programs can run up to a minute past the time noted in the schedule. And apparently it is that widespread. Otherwise Comcast and other DVR providers wouldn’t make allowances for it and give you a way to adjust your recording times if it weren’t that common. If they didn’t do that they’d go out of business.